I have been using this PC for a few years now and have never had any problems, now from one day to the next it will not boot.

I get the typical start-up sounds, fan, beeps, etc. Then the red screen pops up that has always popped up showing (this is from memory so bear with me if this isn't exactly right) K7T-Turbo MDI Athlon/Duron processor etc. This would usually be followed by a quick flash of a black screen filled with lots of text, then it would cycle for several seconds on a blank screen and then my desktop background would display and a few seconds later I would get the password prompt.

Now I get the red screen with the K7T-Turbo MDI Athlon/Duron processor information, then a black screen with some text (but not the usual) which includes an Energy Star logo in the top right corner, but this only stays around for about 2 seconds and then the screen goes black, then jumps or flashes and I get the red screen back with the K7T-Turbo information. This will continue as long as I would let it.

I can access the BIOS screen by hitting delete during this mess, and I can access the screen with the Safe Modes and other options, but none of this seems to do me any good. I have tried activating the Safe Mode, and also made several changes in the BIOS to see if this would make any difference. It changes nothing. I even opened the PC and removed and replaced the internal battery to see if it might reset a BIOS setting that was creating the issue. No luck.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I need to get back into my PC immediately and I am way out of my league. I don't know where to go next.

Thanks so much,

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

How did you reset the CMOS? Did you power on the PC for few seconds with the CMOS battery removed? That will reset the BIOS completely. Also after the reset goto the BIOS screen and select "Restore Defaults". Take out the memory strips and clean them and put it back. Keep posting..

No, I did not power on the PC with the battery removed, I will give that a try, thanks for the post.

How did you reset the CMOS? Did you power on the PC for few seconds with the CMOS battery removed? That will reset the BIOS completely. Also after the reset goto the BIOS screen and select "Restore Defaults". Take out the memory strips and clean them and put it back. Keep posting..

Good luck!

No luck, going to have to take it to the Geek Squad to see if I picked up a virus.

nah, you seem to have a pc that is not booting to normal mode. have you tried safe mode.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.