I have an Intel Pentium 166MHz w/ MMX computer and use Windows 98SE. Recently I installed Earthlink's WebMail for sending/receiving email after my Netscape 7 email program malfunctioned. However, I have not uninstalled Netscape and now I have two email programs that seem to be competing with one another. I notice that I have emails going to both places. Since I am unable to reply or even print a message at Netscape I've decided to just use Earthlink's Web Mail. I am tempted to simply uninstall Netscape. Any opinions on what might happen if I do this? Logic tells me that uninstalling one (Netscape) would leave only Earthlink WebMail as my one and only email client and therefore all emails would go directly there. I think having two email programs must be confusing even for my computer! I really need some advice. Thank you.

janda5

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

dead simple. Uninstall Netscape ... simple if you haven't any e-mails lodged inside your Netscape 7 Inbox that you need to keep.

dead simple. Uninstall Netscape ... simple if you haven't any e-mails lodged inside your Netscape 7 Inbox that you need to keep.

Suspishio:
I do have emails in my Netscape 7 Inbox but I have already saved the ones I want to keep to My Documents. That way I can print them out later if I choose. I could also delete those other emails I don't need and then uninstall Netscape 7. How does this sound to you? It makes sense to me but I'd really like another opinion or two. Thanks, Suspishio!

janda5

I hope you get another opinion.

I want to be sure of what I'm recommending.

Reading your original post more carefully it seems to me that you are now registered with Earthlink.net. If you are using the Netscape browser (you didn't say), I can quite see how you could view Earthlink.net via Netscape. You wouldn't be signed into Netscape mail (isn't it that awful AOL service now?).

Can you confirm this please?

In any case, if you can log onto your Earthlink.net mail account, it doesn't matter about Netscape. So dump it. But what is there to dump? If you're using their mail client, uninstall will get rid of that. There'll be a bonus in that all the AOL overheads will disappear at the same time - if I've got that right which I think I have.

OK?

I hope you get another opinion.

I want to be sure of what I'm recommending.

Reading your original post more carefully it seems to me that you are now registered with Earthlink.net. If you are using the Netscape browser (you didn't say), I can quite see how you could view Earthlink.net via Netscape. You wouldn't be signed into Netscape mail (isn't it that awful AOL service now?).

Can you confirm this please?

In any case, if you can log onto your Earthlink.net mail account, it doesn't matter about Netscape. So dump it. But what is there to dump? If you're using their mail client, uninstall will get rid of that. There'll be a bonus in that all the AOL overheads will disappear at the same time - if I've got that right which I think I have.

OK?

Suspishio:

You sound as cautious as I am! Good for us because computers are sensitive and anything can happen. I certainly would like to get several opinions on this. To answer your questions: yes, I am an Earthlink.net subscriber but have been using Netscape 7 only as an email client, not a browser. I usually use Firefox or IE7 for that. There are emails in Netscape's inbox that I would like to save (perhaps to My Documents) before I "dump it." Once again, I totally agree with you that I need other opinions. I hope I've answered your questions. Let me know. Thanks for all your time and assistance. Suspishio.

janda5

Hi Janda5

My caution is there only to support yours. The reason for caution on my part is that I don't have your PC in front of me so I don't know how your Netscape e-mail is set up.

So, to put your mind at rest my advice is - copy the messages you want to keep into My Documents; uninstall the Netscape e-mail client and happy Earthlink.net.

If Earthlink.net is working fine now, it'll continue working fine when you've dumped that Netscape (and AOL) overhead.

Hi Janda5

My caution is there only to support yours. The reason for caution on my part is that I don't have your PC in front of me so I don't know how your Netscape e-mail is set up.

So, to put your mind at rest my advice is - copy the messages you want to keep into My Documents; uninstall the Netscape e-mail client and happy Earthlink.net.

If Earthlink.net is working fine now, it'll continue working fine when you've dumped that Netscape (and AOL) overhead.

Suspishio:

Thanks so very, very much for your much needed advice. I do appreciate it! I'll let you know what I decide to do. Earthlink WebMail is working just great and I wonder now why I didn't take advantage of that service to begin with. I've been an Earthlink subscriber for three years now. Oh well, sometimes one has to learn the hard way. Thanks again, Suspishio, and Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours.

janda5

Janda5 - thank you for your kind remarks.

Here in the UK, we don't have Thanksgiving. Indeed, what would we Brits have to thank anyone for?

We don't have enough turkeys to eat. The turkey population is being slaughtered because Bird Flu has blighted the farmlands where they are bred;

The government has just lost 25 million personal records in the post with full bank details, personal identity data and social security numbers;

The government has just bailed out a failed bank for the equivalent of USD 60 billion; that's $1,000 for each person;

Gasoline now costs the equivalent of $2/litre; I doubt you pay that for the gallon.

The dog's dead; the cat shat itself and all the salmon in Northern Ireland died yesterday because they were eaten by jellyfish!

The only light in our lives is relieving the misery of all the virus and malware ridden souls who grace this forum!

Be hearing from you.

Janda5 - thank you for your kind remarks.

Here in the UK, we don't have Thanksgiving. Indeed, what would we Brits have to thank anyone for?

We don't have enough turkeys to eat. The turkey population is being slaughtered because Bird Flu has blighted the farmlands where they are bred;

The government has just lost 25 million personal records in the post with full bank details, personal identity data and social security numbers;

The government has just bailed out a failed bank for the equivalent of USD 60 billion; that's $1,000 for each person;

Gasoline now costs the equivalent of $2/litre; I doubt you pay that for the gallon.

The dog's dead; the cat shat itself and all the salmon in Northern Ireland died yesterday because they were eaten by jellyfish!

The only light in our lives is relieving the misery of all the virus and malware ridden souls who grace this forum!

Be hearing from you.

Suspishio:

Please forgive me for wishing you a Happy Thanksgiving. I had no idea you were living in the UK. That's something I must remember when using the Internet...we are a global community after all and not everyone lives here in the USA. I do agree with you 100% that relieving the misery of those of us who turn to these computer forums for advice is a tremendous light in our lives. But whether or not you celebrate Thanksgiving as we do here in the U.S. I'm sure that there are many blessings you also have to be thankful for. Once again, thank you for your advice and I will keep you posted on how things turn out. Thanks!

janda5

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.