Hi all,
this must be the most absurd inquiry in the history of inquiries.
i cannot, for the life of me, locate the plug for the internet networking cable on my tower of my PC computer. it runs ME, and veiwing the help files I came accross a vague suggestion of it being on the "expansion plug of the motherboard". Unfortunately I dont have a screw driver... or maybe fortunately because I cant even remember how grounding the tower works (am i supposed to be touching the comp + the ground, or not so?) AND if i did have a screw driver id probably damage something....

so what i was wondering is... is the plug internal or external, because I sure cannot find it.
Thanks,
Hails

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

Most usually external, hails. And you do not say what connection you have from your modem, or whether your modem is internal.. ie a card. But if so, it would have a socket on it protuding to rear. So. Some modems use USB, or Ethernet cables, some offer both. If yours is USB, just plug it to any USB port. Ethernet is just like a slightly larger phone connector.
Grounding yourself means occasionally touching the bare metalwork of the tower.

Its external...IF you have a new motherboard then the network adapter or 'LAN card' will be integrated but the input for the RJ45 (net cable) is always external...If you have an old motherboard and have seperately put a 'Lan Card' on one of the 'bus' slots, you'll have to insert the cable into the 'Lan Card' whose RJ45 port is also outside...So in any case the port where you have to insert the cable is always outside, else you don't have a Lan card...

Hi all,
this must be the most absurd inquiry in the history of inquiries.
i cannot, for the life of me, locate the plug for the internet networking cable on my tower of my PC computer. it runs ME, and veiwing the help files I came accross a vague suggestion of it being on the "expansion plug of the motherboard". Unfortunately I dont have a screw driver... or maybe fortunately because I cant even remember how grounding the tower works (am i supposed to be touching the comp + the ground, or not so?) AND if i did have a screw driver id probably damage something....

so what i was wondering is... is the plug internal or external, because I sure cannot find it.
Thanks,
Hails

If you haven't found it, you probably don't have one. It looks exactly like a telephone jack, but larger.
They (PCI Nics) cost about $15.00 and are easy to install.
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3350631&CatId=200

Oh dear. the cable (its a network cable, so im guessing ethernet) doesnt fit in any of the jacks. it does fit into my network jack on my laptop(which is the slightly bigger phone jack jack), but there are no network jacks on my computer. there are what seems to be two phonejacks though. one suspects they were for the faxing function which used to be popular. Its a pain because I only need the internet on that beastly machine for about 5 minutes.

I think your on to something here

Oh dear. the cable (its a network cable, so im guessing ethernet) doesnt fit in any of the jacks. it does fit into my network jack on my laptop(which is the slightly bigger phone jack jack), but there are no network jacks on my computer. there are what seems to be two phonejacks though. one suspects they were for the faxing function which used to be popular. Its a pain because I only need the internet on that beastly machine for about 5 minutes.

Well that probably means that you don't have a LAN card but a MODEM which has jacks the size of a phone jack...

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.