I tried to search DaniWeb for something on this that may have been addressed already, but did not find it.

I have XP Pro 32-bit running now. I upgraded MB and CPU/RAM. I have bought Windows 7 Professional 64-bit and want to dual boot it with XP. I know there is the XP mode that I can mess with, but until I am comfortable with Win 7 and can use XP mode for a few programs, I will need to dual boot.

I wonder if any IT pro has a migration list (or the like) that I can consider all the things I need to back up and can re-incorporate back into Win 7 once installed. I know I will have a ton of apps to install. Some are Win 7 ready, some have not made the leap. I need them both for now.

I hear that Win 7 will take over my system in that it wants to be the only OS on it. I am not sure of that one.

Any advise or help on this?

░░▒▒▓▓█ Bar Jabba █▓▓▒▒░░

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

Hello,

You should have no problem dual booting XP and win 7.

I have three operating systems and all are listed; just make sure you install the oldest operating system first.

XP then Win 7. Windows 7 should detect XP and create an entry for that. if that doesn't work you could try EasyBCD.

- Let us know how it goes.

Should be no problem at all, I have Windows XP 32bit, Windows 7 64 bit and Ubuntu all 'triple' booting on my system. Like has been said, install Windows XP first, then when you install Windows 7, make sure you create a seperate paration so as to not overwrite XP. :)

Hello,
XP then Win 7. Windows 7 should detect XP and create an entry for that. if that doesn't work you could try EasyBCD.

- Let us know how it goes.

Thanks for the concenses. I have XP Pro on already and I would hope that MS would be consistant. It's just all the talk about it not working well in the dual boot area that I heard before making the plunge.

I use Disk Director 10 and True Image Home 2009 from Acronis. I am doing a full image prior to doing the install...of course. It just would be a headache if something went wrong. I don't have the cash to get some help locally either. (I am disabled, so I can't fix on hardware, as I once did all the time.)

I just hope I have considered ALL that needs to be considered when migrating like this, I have a number of "Processesor Intensive" software. I upgraded my system big time a few months back, to handle these applications. I really need to turn on the 64 bit OS soon.

I most certianly will inform you if all goes well. It would take awhile to get everything runn up to speed before I can say anything.)

Bless U!
:-)

Should be no problem at all, I have Windows XP 32bit, Windows 7 64 bit and Ubuntu all 'triple' booting on my system. Like has been said, install Windows XP first, then when you install Windows 7, make sure you create a seperate paration so as to not overwrite XP. :)

Yes, I have always used the configuration that I set up at my last employment. I put the OS in one; the Applications in one, and then the Data in another. I can't tell you all the benefits, but security and easier, more orderly, restorations are a few. The cons, don't matter unless you are just a typical user who just wants to just play games and go on the internet. (that's what net books are good for).

:-)

I know it has been about 15 days ago since I last responded. I apologize. I had much work and health issue that kept me away.

I am collective the most imortant application disks and moving download apps on to my externa' back up drives. I will be finally going for the install. Please wish me luck, I really hope I won't need it. But hey!

There is no problem at all as I did this. To make it work you must install it on a diffrent partion (Lets say if windows XP installed on C:\, you install windows 7 on somthing else than C:\)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.