Hi,

I have dell vostro 1015.

Configuration is Intel dual core2 processor 1.8 Ghz, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB hard disk.

Is it possible for me to install Windowz 7 64 bit?

Will it increase speed of my laptop?

The compatiblity test when run says

You will need custom install of 32 bit windows 7. I want to install 64 bit. Is it possible?

Recommended Answers

All 10 Replies

Should have no problems as the cpu is 64bit capable. Whether or not your lappie will be faster or not is debatable.
What is on there now? If XP, you may find 7 to be slower as it will use more resources.

Thanks Crunchie.

I have XP now.

im running win7 ultimate ,on a compaq v2000 with 1 gig ram and a amd sempron single core cpu and it runs very well ,just as quick as the laptop did with winxp and 512 meg of ram

Your machine will run 64bit in reality however, you are better off with a 32bit if you dont have enough RAM.

To be honest, there is only a slight variation in performance that Im sure you wont even notice. If you have more RAM however, its entirely a different story. Your processor will obviously be able to address more data at one time and thats true.

One of my systems is configured this way:
1.5GHz c2D processor
3GB RAM
320 GB HDD
Windows 7 pro X64.

The machine seems to be running just fine and I tried XP on it too and there wasnt much of a performance difference. I just use that machine for a little bit of programming and word processing. It seems to do the job pretty well.

Thank you all for answers. For now I decided to go with 32 bit.

Hi again,

I want to install Windows 7 64 bit. But I searched Dell's site for 64 bit drivers for vostro 1015 on windows 7. I could find only 32 bit drivers. Then how will be able to to install 64 bit Windows 7 if Dell does not provide 64 bit drivers for Vostro 1015? Or I can just install 32 bit drivers on 64 bit OS? will it work?

Hi again,

I want to install Windows 7 64 bit. But I searched Dell's site for 64 bit drivers for vostro 1015 on windows 7. I could find only 32 bit drivers. Then how will be able to to install 64 bit Windows 7 if Dell does not provide 64 bit drivers for Vostro 1015? Or I can just install 32 bit drivers on 64 bit OS? will it work?

If dell does not offer the drivers, may be the hardware manufacturers may have drivers for you. If you are lucky, windows 7 should get you the proper drivers. If it still doesnt work, change the following setting
Click start --> type "change device installation" and click on "change device installation settings" change the option to "Install driver from windows update if it is not found on my compute". Go to device manager through, start type in --> "device manager" --> click it--> --> right click on your computer name and select "scan for hardware changes. If you see a yellow exclamation mark beside any device, right click it and click uninstall and try scan for hardware changes

Hope this helps. Let me know how it goes

Study!
But I think you're don't enough RAM.

Thanks for all the replies. I have installed and is working ok so far. I did not have to download drivers.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.