Ok...I am in desperate need of help!
I have lived in my apt for the last year, we have always had comcast internet and a linksys router. My roommate with the linksys router moved away so I went out and bought a new
WRT54GS to hook up with comcast. (I don't know if you need this info, but the account was in her name, so I created a NEW account with them). I went through the linksys set up cd and it set up the network perfectly. However when I try to go wireless all I get is "page cannot be displayed" even though it's says "connected".
I have been on Linksys support chat, and I've called their support line, I've gotten no help. They take me through the same things I've done countless times. I've tried to call comcast and they say they have no information for me, that Linksys is the only one that can help...no one is helping me! The internet works perfectly when I hook my modem up directly to my computer, so I know there are no problems with the network. My computer also can communicate with the router fine, I've entered the IP address in IE and gone in and done some things that Linksys said might work (though they didn't).

I've tried powering down, resetting the router, cloning the mac address....I don't know what is wrong. And everyone wants to charge me $200 to come out and help me...
Please help!!!

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Ok...I am in desperate need of help!
I have lived in my apt for the last year, we have always had comcast internet and a linksys router. My roommate with the linksys router moved away so I went out and bought a new
WRT54GS to hook up with comcast. (I don't know if you need this info, but the account was in her name, so I created a NEW account with them). I went through the linksys set up cd and it set up the network perfectly. However when I try to go wireless all I get is "page cannot be displayed" even though it's says "connected".
I have been on Linksys support chat, and I've called their support line, I've gotten no help. They take me through the same things I've done countless times. I've tried to call comcast and they say they have no information for me, that Linksys is the only one that can help...no one is helping me! The internet works perfectly when I hook my modem up directly to my computer, so I know there are no problems with the network. My computer also can communicate with the router fine, I've entered the IP address in IE and gone in and done some things that Linksys said might work (though they didn't).

I've tried powering down, resetting the router, cloning the mac address....I don't know what is wrong. And everyone wants to charge me $200 to come out and help me...
Please help!!!

Answer these question then we can get you hooked up
Did the setup set encryption on the wireless. and are you using that same encryption on the pc
Are you using wireless zero on the pc to control the wireless connection.
how far from the router are you. how many pc are you connecting to the router

Yikes. Hm, yes the setup set up encryption, and when I went to get connected I entered the wep key to log on. I am not sure what wireless zero is...
I'm sitting right next to the router. and I'm only trying to connect one computer.

Also, I have contacted Linksys support and they were on the phone with me for 2 hours tried everything they could think of and it still isn't working. They think there is something in the modem that either isn't set up right or isn't compatible with the router...comcast of course is swearing up and down there is nothing wrong and said they won't allow static ip set up which is what linksys's next step was going to be.
Comcast said if I drive to their store they'll let me swap out the modem...But I am hoping there isn't going to be the same issue...

...I'm only trying to connect one computer...Linksys support...think(s) there is something in the modem that either isn't set up right or isn't compatible with the router...comcast of course is swearing up and down there is nothing wrong and said they won't allow static ip...Comcast said if I drive to their store they'll let me swap out the modem...But I am hoping there isn't going to be the same issue...

Ashley it appears that bobbyraw was willing to give it a try but you did not answer his questions specifically enough.

We know you have a Linksys WRT45GS (so I can look it up and see it's specs)
What type is the Comcast:....Specific Name, model information is what is needed.

Go to your favorite search engine and search for what you find name wise and if you can't find it, chances are others cannot either.

1) Can you connect your PC to the Comcast Modem (model number?; name?) and get to the internet? Yes or No?
2) How are you connecting to the Comcast Modem from your PC? (Standard Ethernet cable; Cross-over Ethernet cable; WiFi; or some other way?)

If you can do 1 and 2 above and get to the internet with your PC connected, based on your own information you don't really need the LinkSys Router.

Here is my Guess. . . :

Without knowing your configuration I am guessing that you are attempting to connect to the Comcast Cable or DSL Modem (which is it for you, DSL or Cable...the model number may tell us if you don't know, I know Comcast offers Cable, but do they offer DSL...I honestly don't know) with an ethernet cable connected to the LinkSys Router. With your PC attempting to connect to LinkSys Router in a 'wireless' way.

. . . end of my 'guess', If my guess is correct you can do the following:

If so:
1. Purchase an Ethernet Cable
2. Use your Ethernet NIC port or purchase an Ethernet NIC Card. You could also get a friend with an Ethernet port on their laptop to help you out with this, without buying anything, but for your own benefit, you need to be able to test for proper functioning of your Comcast modem from time to time, your current experience with their customer no service should already tell you this. Testing of this kind can probably can only be accomplished via an Ethernet Cable and a hardwired 10/100 Ethernet port, not WiFi, just FYI.

Also your PC may have one, even if it is WiFi enabled...today you can get a PC for $399, that has WiFi; 10/100 Ethernet; 3 USB ports; Webcam; Audio & Mic, etc.... So it is quite common to have both hardwired (10/100 Ethernet ports) and WiFi ports.

3. Verify that you can connect to the internet with just the standard Ethernet (not cross over) cable connected to your PC (a PC) to the modem directly. Either you can or you cannot. If you can't, Comcast MUST help you with this. You pay for monthly service and you should ask for reimbursement for each and every day that you are down that is not 'your' fault. The catch is knowing when they are and are not providing service to you as they have promised and as you are paying money for.

Sadly that is all they will do, verify that you have one valid connection.

Happily that is all you need them to to do. Once you 'know' you have a valid working connection to the internet through their hardware, you can use the internet to 'clone' the Linksys router to act like it is your PC and you can connect both WiFi and hardwired Ethernet PCs to it to communicate to the internet.

Most of us today, need both hardwired ethernet (faster, more reliable, more secure) and WiFi (at least for other devices like VoIP, PIMs, etc...). Heck I am saving allot of money and have been for over 3 years with my VoIP solution as compared to cellular. Personally I am saving over $600 per month, if you are in an area where you have Metro PCS you can save ($200 - $500 per month depending on your plan - $30 per month .... up to $60 per month X 12 months - $100 I am paying gives you your savings per YEAR! ($30*12=#360-100=$260 savings per year; $60*12=$720-100=$620 savings per year!...my cellular plan at one time was over $100 and later over $60 per month...so I really love VoIP!

With the Nokia N800 handset I ordered (WiFi enabled) I will have good enough phone service for me, it's not cellular and WiFi is not as available as it will be in the future...but with WiFi at work and WiFi at home, I have phone access at well over 80% of where I spend my time in life...and I still have voice mail.... And that $399 PC I mentioned above, will run VoIP as well and weighs about 2 lbs...it's my traveling PC for email, web and phone access anymore, check out the Asus EEE PC - it is great!.)

[anti Cellular rant... begin]
I have VoIP for less than $100 per year and LOVE IT! Anyone who has experienced 'customer no service' at the hands of a Cellular company or Long distance telephone providers knows our pain and based on searches, for those industries, "customer no service" seems to be their preferred mantra; after all most people allow them to get away with it don't they! Perhaps they can get away with it with you, but not for me, not anymore...and I am laughing all the way to the bank! You can't be taken advantage of unless you let someone or some company. I prefer to tell them 'no thank you' and save hundreds to thousands per year.
[anti Cellular rant... end]

On a VERY POSITIVE NOTE: I could afford to buy a new computer each and every year with my savings, in fact I could buy more than one computer each and every year with my savings, of course I usually keep my computers for multiple years...you can have these savings too!

Is my Guess above correct? (if so follow the steps and let us know what happened, if not please provide additional information.)

Please post more and you will get the help you need.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.