Help please!
I have a clean install of XP, my NIC is functioning correctly. I can ping a loopback, ipconfig release and renew, and Comcast says they can see my modem and it is "talking back". No AV installed yet, no firewall, no antispyware and I cannot get online with IE, Firefox, etc.
I have rolled back drivers, run netsh winsock reset, all to no avail. I will attempt with my laptop next but am seeking advice.

Thanks!

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

do you have the drivers installed for the NIC, have you tried another cable, switch the end of the cable. are you using a router between the modem and Pc.

do you have the drivers installed for the NIC, have you tried another cable, switch the end of the cable. are you using a router between the modem and Pc.

Thanks, the drivers are installed, I've switched cables, and there is NO router. Still no luck!

have you rebooted the comcast modem. and when you attched the ethernet cable do you get a link and activity/data light at the ethernet port on you pc, green on one side and orange on the other. when you remove the cable do you get a message that network cable unplug. how many ethernet ports do you have on the pc. are you configured for DHCP or static IP and what setting does comcast have you set to static or DHCP

have you rebooted the comcast modem. and when you attched the ethernet cable do you get a link and activity/data light at the ethernet port on you pc, green on one side and orange on the other. when you remove the cable do you get a message that network cable unplug. how many ethernet ports do you have on the pc. are you configured for DHCP or static IP and what setting does comcast have you set to static or DHCP

we rebooted the modem yesterday but I had not looked for the data light on the ethernet port (only one on machine), and the setting is DHCP
Thanks!

My laptop works fine on this line, but the desktop still can't connect to the web. Could a NIC still allow me to ping and release/ renew, yet be damaged so as not connect to the internet?

Thanks

My laptop works fine on this line, but the desktop still can't connect to the web. Could a NIC still allow me to ping and release/ renew, yet be damaged so as not connect to the internet?

Thanks

I wouldn't think so, but crazier things have happened.
Post ipconfig /all from this machine.

I wouldn't think so, but crazier things have happened.
Post ipconfig /all from this machine.

Will be able to post that tomorrow, thanks for the help!

Sorry for the delay in follow up - the modem is the source of the problem as the other computer would not connect later on. Problem solved! Thanks for your help:)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.