Hi All,

I just installed a new mobo/cpu and my hard drive won't spin when the IDE is attached. As soon as I unplug it, it spins. My fans are all working and I've tried switching IDE cables. Power supply problem? Bad mobo? I've seen this thread in the past, but never seen it resolved. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Recommended Answers

All 19 Replies

How is it listed in the BIOS?

I don't even get that far. When the hard drive spins w/o IDE or doesn't spin w/ IDE, the BIOS doesn't come up. My monitor maintains "No Input." Thanks for the reply!

Just to make sure you aren't doing this, do not plug in or unplug the IDE cable when the drive is powered. Futhermore, do not plug the power cable or unplug the power cable when the system is on. In short, only plug or unplug cables when the system is off. You can damage your drives if you do otherwise.

Since you aren't able to get your system running, it sounds like you have a dead machine. Read My PC won't start - Read this first! to help you find your actual problem.

It is very likely that the drive isn't spinning at startup because your system has a different issue that is not related to the harddrive. Go through the guide and see if you can get your system to boot.

I agree with chrissbliss18. The fact that you aren't seeing any BIOS sign on messages and (I assume) hearing no POST beeps, I suspect a fault somewhere in the motherboard. If the problem has been happening right from when you put the machine together, your mobo was DOA (dead on arrival). In this case, you can go back to where you purchased it from and request them for a brand new piece.

Thanks, I've done most of those suggestions. I cleared the CMOS (change the jumper and turn on the computer, right?). I unplugged everything except the essentials. I swapped the RAM with known working RAM and nothing. The HD and Video card worked previously to the new mobo/cpu. I checked twice to see if the CPU was properly seated and it was. I don't think it is too probable to get a bad CPU (AMD Sempron 2800+). That means the mobo's IDE connection is bad or I fried it w/ static electricity, but I always ground myself. The mobo is distributing the power properly to the fans because they work. My first thought was the Power Supply. It is only 250 W. If that wasn't enough power, would this problem (HD not spinning when IDE cable is plugged into mobo) occur, or no. So here's a summary:

mobo: New, unknown to work but does distribute power to fans
cpu: New (AMD Sempron 2800+), properly seated
HD: Known to previously work
IDE Cable: Known to previously work, tried another just in case
Video Card: Known to previously work, verified it was properly seated
RAM: New, but swapped w/ RAM previously known to work
Power Supply: Used, 250W, not enough?

I don't get a POST and beep. I verified that all the LED and speaker lines are properly connected to + and -. Thanks.

Thanks again for all help and input!!!

Your diagnosis steps are flawed.

A system will not fail to POST (Power On Self-Test) because of a bad IDE connection. In fact, a system can successfully POST without any IDE, floppy, SATA, or SCSI devices connected to it.

Just because a motherboard is supplying power to the fan headers does not mean that the motherboard isn't damaged. It does mean that motherboard is able to recognize when it should be on and is supplying power to the fan headers.

It's hard to say that it is improbable that you have a bad CPU. People receive dead CPUs quite frequently (that isn't to say that one out of ten will get a bad CPU, but it does mean that it isn't rare for people to receive them).

Considering that you aren't even able to hear a system beep, I would think that your motherboard and/or your CPU are damaged.

If you have been connecting and disconnecting cables from any component while the system was on, there is a very good chance that you did permanent damage to your motherboard and possibly to the component that you were connecting/disconnecting.

Since the system is new, are you sure that you connected everything correctly?
Have you followed all of the instructions to the letter?
Do you have any previous experience setting up new machines?

Your power supply is small, but should be sufficient to boot up a system with nothing but the motherboard, CPU, RAM, and video card in order to test it.

Thanks again for the help.

I have built 2 previous machines with no problem. To clarify, I have never unplugged cables while the system was plugged in. When I get home from work I will unplug the hard drive completely in an attempt to get a POST. I believe I have already done this and not gotten anything on the monitor. My next step will be to exchange the motherboard where I purchased it and try a new one (It's within the return policy). If that is not successful I will do the same for the CPU.

I'll post after switching the motherboard tonight. Thank you all for your help!

I will unplug the hard drive completely in an attempt to get a POST. I believe I have already done this and not gotten anything on the monitor.

Since you've already tried this step before and you know that your RAM is working (so I gather from your previous message), I'm fairly confident the problem lies somewhere in your mobo and/or your CPU...

If you can, check the CPU on another working motherboard. If this system does not start, you know the CPU is the problem. Next, check a known working CPU on your mobo. This will help you narrow down the problem.

Alright, well, I exchanged both the motherboard and the CPU for new ones and I still get the same problem....no POST. I checked the power switch and LED connectors, checked that the processor is correctly fitted, used RAM I know works, and checked that the video card is seated correctly. Is it possible that the video card isn't "Plug and play" and is therefore causing this problem? It's a PCI 3DFX VooDoo card from a few years back. It worked in the computer before this mobo/cpu switch, but maybe only because I loaded drivers.

Any help is appreciated. Thank you all for your posts!!!

OK, the no POST beeps indicates CPU failure (almost %100 of the time). That could have been caused by a wide variety of things. BUT, since you indicate you exchanged both MOBO and the CPU for new, identical items, and got the same result again, then I am looking right at the PSU (power supply unit). Honestly, 250W isn't all that good anymore. Also, if it was a bargain or a light-weight PSU, then I would definitely NOT use that. AMD's tend to be somewhat finicky about power. THere are two sockets for the Sempron 2800+, Socket A & Socket 754. I am assuming you are using Socket A.

Now, what mobo is it? That is an important question. Does it have POST Reporter? Will it tell you what is going on if you have speakers plugged in? If it does, take EVERYTHING out. CPU, RAM, everything! just connect power to the board. If it has POST Reporter, make sure your speakers are on and at an audible level. Power up the board. The Reporter will say "CPU Failure or NO CPU Detected"

That will solve your working/non working Mobo problem. I think you should get a better PSU. I've done a lot of damage to AMD boards by using inneficient PSU's. (look for my previous posts in these forums. lol)
Good luck, let me know

Danyael

Thanks again for the continued help...

I am using the AMD 2800+ Socket 754, not the Socket A.

The mobo is an ECS EliteGroup 755-A2. I'm not sure if it has a POST reporter. This is the link to the mobo description:

http://www.ecs.com.tw/ECSWeb/Products/Productsdetail.aspx?detailid=381&MenuID=16&LanID=9

I will try a new PSU. I'll upgrade to a 350W which should be enough. Any other suggestions would be great.

When I clear CMOS by moving the jumper, nothing is supposed to happen because it's now shorted, right? I just push the power button, unplug the computer, and change the jumper back.

Also, for the speaker, there are 4 slots for pins on the plug, yet only two have connectors in them, the VCC and signal slots. Which ones of these should I connect to +? I've done it both ways just incase.

Thanks again for the help!

You should upgrade way past a 350W PSU. Im thinking at least, bare minimum a 420W PSU. Reason? 1. You cpu is a beast.. not literally, but AMD's require a lot of power.. usually more than their specifications. 2. Your PCI video card isnt going to last long in that box. You need an AGP card. even a 32MB Radeon. Get it out of that PCI slot!!!

When you clear your CMOS, once you've switched pins and shorted it out, keep it there for about 10 seconds. yes, just putting it there and taking it off will do the job, but you want to ensure ALL discharge is outta there. So keep it there for 10 seconds, then move it back. You DO NOT have to press power, or anything else.

Now, your speaker. It looks like your board should have (3) pins for your speaker. I believe it will be on the RIGHT side of the pin array (looking at it from the top). And when connect the speaker, make sure the side with the open spaces (the other side should say Speaker on it) is pointing toward the front of the case.
The bottom is Pin headers are the same way. The label side up. incase you were unsure or didnt know.

Now, disconnect everything from the board but the power. *NOTE* Since you have a 250W PSU, do you HAVE a 4pin power connector? Should be a long square design? It will plug in to the right and down from the RAM.. If you dont have one on your current PSU, you will most assuredly need a new one.. immediately. Or you'll do more damage.

Let me know.

Danyael

Danyael's post got me thinking. The old 250 W PSU will not have the 4 pin, 12 v CPU connector. I'll bet that's the source of the problem. I suggest you get a minimum 420 W PSU from Antec or iBall. these are compatible...

Thanks for your detailed help.

My PSU only has the rectangle ATX plug that plugs in by the IDE slots, not the smaller square 12V ATX. I'll pick up a new PSU on the way home from work tonight.

When plugging in my LED to Panel 1, the RST_SW has the - on pin 5 according to the manual, so I have that one facing the other direction. On the plugs there is a small triangle on one of the connectors, which is postive, correct? So I lined that one up with what the manual says is positive (pg 12). The rest face the way you describe.

I'll try and pick up a new video card too.

I'll let you know if the new PSU does the trick. Thanks again for your help.

THE PROBLEM HAS BEEN SOLVED!!!

I purchased a 500W PSU and installed it, using both the ATX and the ATX 12V cables. That did the trick. It booted right up no problem. I was under the impression that the small square 12V ATX was for Pentium 4 processors only, guess not.

Thank you all for your help!!!

Not a problem at all. Glad to hear the problem's solved...

Hello all,

I just wanted to thank the originator of this thread.

I had the same problem building a new computer with an Intel Pentium 4 HT...

I've built numerous computers in the past, but none in the last 2 years. I was wondering what the heck I was doing wrong. As had he, I used parts (drives) from my previous computer, recieved no POST beeps, and was trying to use my old case with a 250w power supply, and looked everywhere for a solution. I had a feeling when the drives wouldn't work after being plugged into the motherboard that I was low on power. It seems to be the case, and I will try that tomorrow and post my results as well in case anybody has doubts about this solution.

Again, thanks to the originator and ALL WHO REPLIED.

Dustin

It worked!!!:)

Hello all,

I had the same problem building a new computer with an Intel Pentium 4 HT...

I've built numerous computers in the past, but none in the last 2 years. I was wondering what the heck I was doing wrong. As had he, I used parts (drives) from my previous computer, recieved no POST beeps, and was trying to use my old case with a 250w power supply, and looked everywhere for a solution. I had a feeling when the drives wouldn't work after being plugged into the motherboard that I was low on power.
Dustin

I had a dell 5150 with a pentium 4 ht and a measely 300w PSU. I plugged an IDE disk (ibm deathstar) and it exhibited the same behaviour. It works fine with SATA disks though? I think some PSU's just dont give enough juice to the molexes.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.