Hi everyone,
I just wanted to ask a simple question about my network. I have a simple LAN network with 2 PCs and a network device (a DVR with an ethernet port). If my network device has for example the lan address 192.168.1.45 how can i access it from the internet? i can access it with no problem from inside my local network, but i cant figure out how i can access it from outside and by entering my routers public IP.

I have also setup the rules on my router firewall to forward traffic coming from WAN to the specified port of the address 192.168.1.45.

thanks

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

You should make your that the WAN interface of the router has a Public IP address which is either assigned by the ISP Service .
They might install a Modem in your home and assign it a public IP address and the router will be connected to that modem via a cable and that routers WAN interface should be geting a Public or WAN IP address from the ISP.

You should do NATing inorder to access your LAN from outside.

I hope its clear

Sorry if i didnt specify, but i have my network all setup with access to the internet and everything. I was just asking about the details of what u mention as NATing. How can i access my lan device through NAT from outside the network (through WAN)?

Yes your computer from which you want to access your LAN must have internet service running either using a dialup or
DSL and the LAN that you want to access must have an internet access as well.

First please inform us which OS are you using in your 2 PCs that are in that LAN
environment and from which computer do
you want to access this LAN over Internet ?

You should be having a secure connection to your LAN from internet and that could be
only possible if you use VPN .

You can use VPN service available from your WinXP computer and access that LAN from internet?

NAT means Network Address Translation
and it is a process through which you can
access the internet or external network from your internal or local network.

But your case is different you want to access your LAN from WAN (opposite).

for that you need mapping. you need to map the private IP address of your LAN to WAN or public IP address so that you can access your LAN from outside.

I hope you get my point.

How can i map my local ip to my public ip? does it have to be done through software? i dont see any option like that in my router.

Also if i make a VPN can the WAN ip address from which i want to access my lan vary? so that i can access my lan from anywhere on the internet wherever i am, internet cafes or anything.

Thats what my question was about, how to access a specific IP inside my LAN from any WAN address.

How can i map my local ip to my public ip? does it have to be done through software? i dont see any option like that in my router.

Also if i make a VPN can the WAN ip address from which i want to access my lan vary? so that i can access my lan from anywhere on the internet wherever i am, internet cafes or anything.

Thats what my question was about, how to access a specific IP inside my LAN from any WAN address.

It depends ,the WAN IP address doesnot generally vary but if the ISP Service provides
more than 1 IP address ,then it can vary.

It depends on which router you are using and you have to log into its firmware and check its configuration.

For further information visit your Network Instructor or Administrator who can guide you better.

Regards,

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.