Member Avatar for ingeborgdot@yah

I have two computers that I would like to be able to connect to one another if possible. One is being used as a music and video server with my Russound Cav6.6 whole house audio video system. The other is in the office.
The computer in the a/v room is running XP Pro SP3 and the office is Vista Ultimate 64bit. I am connected through a 2wire router and am hard wired and not wireless. What I want to be able to do is access music and videos off the office computer. I would also like to control and work with a program called Casa Tunes that the A/V computer has on it. The problem that I am having right now is that it recognizes the computers on the network but it won't let me in. I have been able to connect before but I can't seem to now. Is there something I might be missing? Thanks.

If you can see the other computer from each of the networked computers, then you need to go into each computers' Windows Explorer and set up a shared file - can be different filenames on the different computers. Once you share these folders they should show up when you look at that computer.

In Windows Explorer, go to the folder name you want to share and right click. Choose Properties and you'll see the sharing tab. It's pretty self-explanatory.

Now, using the program on the other machine can be done with one of the remote control programs out there - maybe someone else can give you some suggestions on their favorite.

zeroth

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.