I have a netgear wireless router and is/was working fine with a win xp pro desktop and a laptop. For some reason, I had to re-install win xp on my desktop. After that I am not able to get a internet connection on my desktop. However my (wireless) laptop is working fine. The desktop is connected directly to the router. Is it just the case of starting/stopping modem(DSL) and router and PC in the right sequence? When the desktop starts up, I see just a in-built LAN icon in the tray with properties saying device working properly. any thing I am missing?

Thanks.

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

Since the laptop can connect to the router and access the Net, it should only be the desktop machine that would need to be restarted if anything.

1. Right-click on the networking icon in the tray and click "Status". It should show that you are connected, and that packets are being both sent and received.

2. Disable any and all firewall software entirely. Even Windows' built-in firewall gets wonky sometimes and denies connections that it shouldn't.

3. Open an MS-DOS window and type the following command:

ping ip_address_of_the_router

If that works, you should get 4 positive responses from the router. If it doesn't work, give us the exact error that the ping command gives you.

4. If the above ping works, try to ping a website (Google in this case) by its IP address:

ping 66.102.7.147

5. If that works, try:

ping www.google.com

6. If none of te above work:

Type:

ipconfig /all >C:\ipconfig.txt

Open the resulting ipconfig.txt file in Notepad and post the contents of the file.

Thanks for the reply. Tried all that and some more. Since cannot ping anything at all, the ipconfig gave just the header line:

Windows IP Configuration

That is it. and Nothing else..No amount of release/renew didn't work.

the ipconfig gave just the header line:

Windows IP Configuration

That is it. and Nothing else..

If your network card were truly working properly (and enabled, of course), the ipconfig command should have given you information somewhat similar to the following:

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Stinky
		Primary Dns Suffix  . . . . . . . : 
		Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Mixed
		IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
		WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . : 
		Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/1000 
		Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-0C-F1-26-FE-3B
		Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
		IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.5
		Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
		Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
		DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 4.2.2.1
		NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

That fact that ipconfig listed no information whatsoever about your network card means that the device is either not configured correctly, or that it is configured correctly but has been disabled.

Look in your Network Connections control panel. Do you seen the connection listed? If so, what information do you see there? Right-click on the connection and then click Status in the resulting pop-up menu. what information do you see there?

Had a problem with motherboard built in LAN driver. I found a disk that came with motherboard. After (re)installing it, everything is working. Thanks for the time.

Had a problem with motherboard built in LAN driver...

That would do it. Good job on finding that :)

have the same problem myself, but unfortunately do not have a system disk. My background story though is i had a vista OS and downgraded to XP for stability issues. How can i get my lan driver back?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.