Hi, could someone give me some help with networking/switching?

We have an office at home with 2 PC's which we are making into a bedroom. So we need to save on space.

Both PCs have different Pop 3 accounts.

The 2 computers are networked but what I would like to do is send and receive emails via 1 computer with the ability to use both accounts.

I know I could consolidate all the accounts onto 1 interface but there is a lot of old mail, contacts etc that we want to keep.

So basically I want to run 2 computers through one screen, is that possible?

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

Why don't you just import the accounts over to one machine? This will save you alot of hassle, and you'll get to keep your contact lists, saved emails, etc. Since I don't use outlook, I don't know the exact procedure to do this on outlook (But its very easy on Thunderbird)

Hey moraira,

very good advice \/

Why don't you just import the accounts over to one machine? This will save you alot of hassle, and you'll get to keep your contact lists, saved emails, etc.

Here's the procedure.

Open outlook on the computer you don't want to use as the email computer.

Exporting from Outlook:
click File-->Import and Export...-->export to a file-->highlight (.pst)

Click Personal Folders and check the box which says "include subfolders"

Click next--> browse to your desktop and click save.

Importing to Outlook:
Save the file you just exported to a floppy disk or something and put it on the desktop of your email computer.

Open outlook and do the following:

File-->import and export...-->Import from another program or file-->scroll down to (.pst)-->Browse to the file on your desktop and click next.

Exporting from Outlook Express:

On your non-email computer

File-->Export--> Messages or Addresses (you will have to do this twice if you want to keep both)

Messages will export your messages to Outlook
Addresses will export your addresses to a text file (browse them to your desktop)

Importing from Outlook Express:

Open Outlook (not express) and follow the file-->import export--> for your addresses.

this should cover your whether you're using Outlook or Outlook Express; of coarse outlook is going to be easier.

Let us know when you've gotten this far and someone will help you setup two accounts on the same machine for email if you need it. ;)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.