Is there a better way to manage my wireless connection then with windows xp or the linsys tool. I find that my connection drops out and I have to reboot to get back on the network icon in the system tray has a balloon that say connected but no access to the INTERNET a re boot fixes this. Any better tools for this out there?

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

Is there a better way to manage my wireless connection then with windows xp or the linsys tool. I find that my connection drops out and I have to reboot to get back on the network icon in the system tray has a balloon that say connected but no access to the INTERNET a re boot fixes this. Any better tools for this out there?

Are you using a Dlink WAP? some of these are known to drpp net,

are you using windows XP with SP2 if so, you will find when the network diconnects, you can right click your wireless task bar icon, and select repair?? that my work, also are you using dhcp assgined IP??

It is a linksys card and it is dhcp with auto ip assigned.

Thanks for the info!

you may be encountering DHCP timeouts From your ISP.. With linksys products the
default router is usually 192.168.1.1 and the first client (on a LAN) is 192.168.100.1
the default user & password is usually Administrator Administrator or Admin Admin.

You can change your dhcp settings there 9 times out of ten. I usually leave them disabled
and only set them up on the client to connect back to the ISP.. sometimes
you can change your lease time to up to 5 days for an external IP.

Also, some of the bluetooth software out there goes dormant if there isnt any traffic
for a while.. kind of bumping you off the net and forcing you to refresh your connection manually or reboot.

from the windows command prompt you can refresh your connection
start--> run then type cmd and click on okay

in the command window type 'ipconfig /all' and hit return
this should produce a list of current connection parameters

you can force a release by temporarily disableing an active defunct LAN connection via
(start-->control panel-->network connections then right click)
then in a command window typing 'ipconfig /release'
followed by typing 'ipconfig /renew' then re-enable your LAN connection.

also, check under start-->control panel

double click on system
click on hardware
select network devices

then check to ensure that power management is turned OFF for your wireless device.

Thanks,

That is something I have not tried!

your ISP won't change your IP once you're online and will only change if you disconnect from the net.... you WAN IP is different from your LAN IP.. Cain this isn't a WAN or IP issue here, it's just the lack of signal from the AP to the WNIC (this is a NIC not a blue tooth! Awelbel does the right click thing work to get the reconect? are you running any encryption? as somtimes on disconnect you will have to re enter your WEP/WAP Key..

I did not try re-enter the wap key but I have tried to reconnect using the linksys utility.
Restart is the only way to get it to work!

Thanks for your help and continued input. Do you use a third party utility for wireless connection?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.