Hi,
I had a web connection but the XP PC was needing to be cleaned and reinstalled. I have done that and now find I have no internet connection. My connection is through a Sky Netgear router and all the lights are on but no connection can be found. In the Device Manager the ethernet port has a question mark and an exclamation mark and says the drivers need to be installed. Firstly, I didn't think a plug and play ethernet connection needed drivers, secondly, I haven't got a web connection to download them!!

Can anyone help please?

Cheersm

Beatlebill

WinXP SP2

Yeah, pretty obvious one - drivers. Get the proper drivers for it and load them on a CD/flash drive and plug that into the notebook and manually install the drivers that way.

Hi,
I was told that by Sky, I had thought that was the problem, but am I not right in saying that if it only connects via ethernet it just plug and play with no drivers required?

I've searched for drivers for it and can't seem to locate them, do you know where I could get them?

Cheers

You need to find out the model NIC you have. There should be a sticker on your NIC itself, or maybe printed on it, the make and model. Once you have that, then report back here and I'll help you find them if you can't.

Think I've got them, cheers. I'll have a go and see what happens!

Cheers

commented: Thanks for the thanks +1

Alright be sure to let us know if it's solved!

Erm...not fixed...so annoyed!

I can't find any netgear model number, just SKY02045, so I found the product on the netgear site that looked like it and got drivers for it. Having put them on my flash drive I ran the install wizard but it couldn't find/use/recognise them. Can you see what I've done wrong? Was pretty sure I got the right model.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.