I want to access my office server from my home pc.

Server at office running w2k3 is connected to the internet and my PC at home running XP is also connected to the internet.

I don't know how to do this but in several threads, i read that the remote computer (Office Server in my case) should have static IP which is given by ISP. We don't have static IP. What we do have is just a DSL Connection of 4Mbps.

Can it be done with Dynamic IP? If not then all i can do is to make a call to my office and ask the Server operator (My assistant) to give me Server's public IP every time i need to connect to it.

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

You can do this with Dynamic DNS. It associates a name to a dynamic ip address and you configure your router to update the dns server everytime it changes. It easier than you think and im sure your techie will be more than happy to help so you dont have to bother him for the ip. Then you can connect like you normally do remote desktop using the name instead of the IP.

The company DynDNS does it for free here is the how to:
http://www.dyndns.com/services/dns/dyndns/howto.html

Greetings!! Apart from the Dynamic DNS update [DDNS] you will nees to do a few more things in order to connect to the server.
1. You will have to decide how you're going to connect to the office. Either via VPN and then Terminal Services (more secure way) or straight to the server via Terminal Services.
2. Your server has to be configured to accept incoming terminal services connections, and the account you'll use (if not the administrator account) will have to be permitted to connect this way as well.
3. Your firewall has to be configured to let pass either of this connection protocols.

Or, if security is not your concern... you can connect to the server via a remote control software like Logmein or Teamviewer, which will permit you to bypass the firewall and you will not have to configure the server for the connection.

Given that you are attempting to connect to a server, a remote desktop program may not be appropriate - If you want access files on the server, print to the printer - do all the normal stuff then you should look at getting a VPN. As you don't have a static IP address the I suggest you look at a hosted VPN service such as AccessMyLan which widd do what you need.

Rgds,
Mo.

As mentioned above, If you have vpn setup all you have to do is join the domain which i assume you have and you will have all functionality as if you were at work.

I think it would be better to buy a router that has VPN capabilities if you need to and setup the VPN yourself paying for a service is not necessary from home.

hay guys what about PC anywhere???

I am not interested in buying a software or buying a VPN router. i can configure VPN service on one of my server. does it work?

You can use the vpn service of your server easily but you need a vpn service on your end as well either software or hardware their should be some free software if you would like to do it free for security reasons hardware is better you should check to see if your router is already VPN capable lots are.

Pc Anyware will work but you need someone on the other end to accept you each time.

Using Dnydns and remote desktop without a vpn will work fine for free
The vpn will give you security on transmitted data and make it as if you are at work so you can print from your machien to a work printer or access the file server all as if you were at work.

Most companies require a VPN for security reasons but it is not an obligation just a strong recommendation.

Greetings!! Apart from the Dynamic DNS update [DDNS] you will nees to do a few more things in order to connect to the server.
1. You will have to decide how you're going to connect to the office. Either via VPN and then Terminal Services (more secure way) or straight to the server via Terminal Services.
2. Your server has to be configured to accept incoming terminal services connections, and the account you'll use (if not the administrator account) will have to be permitted to connect this way as well.
3. Your firewall has to be configured to let pass either of this connection protocols.

Or, if security is not your concern... you can connect to the server via a remote control software like Logmein or Teamviewer, which will permit you to bypass the firewall and you will not have to configure the server for the connection.

thx for the help. i got your point and i'll try it soon

let us know how you go

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.