Hello!

I've been trying to set up 2 NICs each, in two workstations for the following reasons:

1. integrated NIC used for DSL connection, FTP, all public internet needs, etc.

2. PCI NIC used for T1, VPN, VoIP (h.323 devices), etc.

Both computer are using Win XP:( , both are identical machines, same make model, specs, etc. Both have the exact same network cards, etc.

The NIC's are configured as follows:

1. Integrated using DHCP for DSL with the DHCP using the Subnet of 192.168.5.x
2. PCI NIC using Static IP using the 192.168.3.x subnet for VPN on T1

The problem and I've seen similar questions posted on other forums and this one as well, but none with the same configuration as my system, or the same needs. But with both NIC's connected, no internet. I've tried the elimination of default gateway's, etc., but when I do that, if I delete the default gateway of my PCI NIC for T1, then I get no VPN anymore. If I try to staticly set the IP for the DSL, then I get no internet. I hope this all makes sense. And let me know if you have any further questions of the configuration. I've exhausted all other solutions. Thanks!

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

Also, I did not think of this, but is there any hope in using the ROUTE ADD command from the command line? And once done, does that load every time Windows XP starts?

you can use this software
Wingate it looks like ISA but contain more fetures and easy to use and able to work under xp environment ,,,,Good Luck

I took a look at the software, and it might work, if I had a third computer with enough NIC's to configure. But this software requires that 1 computer be the server, and the other be a client. But I want to be able to accomplish the two networks without one computer having to be on.
I mean really, there has got to be a way to tell the browsers to use a certain NIC for the internet, and the network to resolve to another NIC. I've tried the proxy settings in IE and Firefox and neither seem to work. However, for some unknown reason, I can now plug in both NIC's and still have the internet, only it is over the T! and not the DSL like I want it to be. Any more suggestions?

Hello!

The NIC's are configured as follows:

1. Integrated using DHCP for DSL with the DHCP using the Subnet of 192.168.5.x
2. PCI NIC using Static IP using the 192.168.3.x subnet for VPN on T1

192.xxx.x.x are reserved for private networks. I think you have to use Network Address Translation (NAT) to map your private ip addresses to the public ip addresses. Here is a good on the Overview of Network Address Translation (NAT) in Windows XP (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb457077.aspx).

a proper setup would use a serious router, capable of 2 WAN connections (T1 and the DSL), and a serious Firewall/NAT behind it (something like Checkpoint SPLAT), which knows how to direct different traffic by port or protocol to different interfaces.

that would make a single NIC on a workstation enough for everything

Well, I think I figured it out.

This is kind of a round about way but it is functioning and has been for about a week. I did not want to mention it until I had thoroughly tested it. This is kind of a poor-man's router. Here is the configuration:

1. NIC #1 is set up for T1 and VPN on the 192.168.3.x Subnet with a Default Gateway entered and a Metric set to 2

2. NIC #2 is set up for DSL on the 192.168.5.x Subnet with a Default Gateway entered and a Metric Set to 1

What this accomplished is a Default Gateway necessary for the internet connection, but avoiding the network confusion by specifying a Metric of 1 on NIC #2 which made the browser look there first, and it never made it to the T1 NIC #2

Then a permanent route added to the routing tables routing the 192.168.3.x Subnet on the T1/VPN NIC to the other side of the VPN worked beautifully.

So without a default gateway, the internet did not know where to look. However, a default gateway was needed for the T1/VPN network, so the internet was using that connection because of the default gateway entered in.

So when a default gateway as entered in both, no internet connection, and no T1 or VPN, because neither NIC knew where to look.

If a default gateway was entered in the NIC#2 for DSL and not on the NIC #1 for T1/VPN, I would get an internet connection, and a local area network, but no VPN. So the Permanent route took care of that, because the other side of the VPN had a specific Subnet, that I could simply route in the routing tables. And it worked perfectly.

So if anyone has a similar setup the way to fix it is this way:

Setup your VPN/Private network with a default gateway, and set the metric to 2 so that the internet will ignore that NIC. Then set up a permanent route in the routing tables from your local private network subnet, to the other side of the VPN/Private Network.

Then on the other NIC, setup a default gateway with a static IP, and set the Metric to 1 so that the internet will look there first. Your local area connection will be resolved through NetBIOS so there will be no network confusion. Any comments on the above configuration?

Ray

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.