i work on a wireless network with 3 other computers on the network. Can the administrator either have access to my computer (kinda like a logmein) or have the ability to get files to see where i go on the web all day & what files i access on my computer?
Kind of like going into history on internet explorer?
if so, how can i find out if it is being done?
how can i stop it or send bogus reports?

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

If the admin is the one who configured everything, then YES to all of your questions.

If he didn't setup/configure the computer you use, but they did configure the network, then assume that your Internet progress/usage/history can and will be tracked/logged/inspected.

And no, there's nothing you can do about it, short of asking them nicely to stop (be prepared to be laughed at if you try that.)

i work on a wireless network with 3 other computers on the network. Can the administrator either have access to my computer (kinda like a logmein) or have the ability to get files to see where i go on the web all day & what files i access on my computer?

You won't be able to truly stop invasion of privacy, so your next step is damage control.

A. Set up a workgroup within the network and secure it. Doing this will not stop invasion, but will let the intruder know that you are aware of the intrusions and are on the defense.
B. Work from within this network and password protect all of your files.
C. Clean your tracks after each session.

This is not the "solution" but it’s a start, who knows you may even gain a little respect :)

You won't be able to truly stop invasion of privacy, so your next step is damage control.

If this is at a workplace, there is no "invasion of privacy."

A. Set up a workgroup within the network and secure it. Doing this will not stop invasion, but will let the intruder know that you are aware of the intrusions and are on the defense.

1.) The OP didn't mention anything about an "intruder." They were asking if the network admin would have access to their machine.

2.) Also, if the machine is a member of a domain, and the OP doesn't have domain admin rights, they can't remove the machine from a domain to create a workgroup.

3.) Doing this won't do anything to stop someone from accessing your files, and certainly won't stop anyone from seeing your network/bandwidth usage/history, if that is what the OP is concerned about. If they have any monitoring tools in place, this will do nothing to bypass/evade/stop them.

B. Work from within this network and password protect all of your files.

I don't think you really have a clue about network security, Bub, but nice try.

C. Clean your tracks after each session.

Can you define "clean your tracks" without mentioning clearing browser history and deleting cookies?

This is not the "solution" but it’s a start, who knows you may even gain a little respect :)

You might also piss off the network admin in the process, which will in turn get you watched even more closely.

yes you administrator have complete access to see your system details and data, if you are in a domain..... and be sure your system is protected from any key logger.....if it is installed in your system then all the data, key pressings, means whatever you write is saved in it....maybe it is password or any mail..... and even if u press enter option then it is also saved in it...... so try to use some firewalls.....

yes your administrator have complete access to see your system details and data, if you are in a domain..... and be sure your system is protected from any key logger.....if it is installed in your system then all the data, key pressings, means whatever you write is saved in it....maybe it is password or any mail..... and even if u press enter option then it is also saved in it...... so try to use some firewalls.....

Firewalls don't protect against a keylogger..

yes your administrator have complete access to see your system details and data, if you are in a domain..... and be sure your system is protected from any key logger.....if it is installed in your system then all the data, key pressings, means whatever you write is saved in it....maybe it is password or any mail..... and even if u press enter option then it is also saved in it...... so try to use some firewalls.....

How do find out if it is being done, what is a key logger & how do i firewall protect from this? what is the best way to handle this?

I'm surprised no one mentioned the word proxy server yet.

I'm surprised no one mentioned the word proxy server yet.

Why add additional things to confuse them? The OP doesn't even know what a keylogger is, I doubt they'd know what a proxy is (no offense to the OP.)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.