What a great Forum here's the source of my problem:

SBC is my dsl isp i'm using speedstream 5100b modem with a netgear router MR814. I can connect with modem directly to my desktop but when I throw the router in (so i can use my laptop) i can never get the router to connect. Any assistance is greately appreciated.

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Is the router set up to be a DHCP server and to give out IP addresses? Is there a built-in firewall? Does your PC successfully get an IP address when connected to the router?

Is the router set up to be a DHCP server and to give out IP addresses? Is there a built-in firewall? Does your PC successfully get an IP address when connected to the router?

CSCGAL,

Thanks for the response.

Yes the router is configured for dhcp, yes it does give me an ip address, to my knowledge there's no built in firewall.

Most modems only remember one MAC address until it is rebooted. Many times people will plug in their PC (Modem learns PC MAC address) it works, plug in router, and it doesn't work. Try this:

connect up pc to router, connect router to modem
Power off router
power off modem
power on modem
power on router

See if that helps you.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.