I'm running Vista ultimate, I have a comcast internet conection that works fine. Today I decided to connect my wireless linksys router 2.4 (802.11g). I also installed Network Magic to manage my wireless network. The hard wire conections are right (from the modem to the router (internet) and from the router (1-4) to the p.c.) The lights are all on for the router meaning power, internet and ethernet. I logged in to the router usser name blank password admin. So I feel everything is right but I do not get internet. Network magic says trying to connect but it wont. If I unhook the router and plug back into the p.c. everything works fine with the internet. then network magic say you have connected to your network. Oh yes I did turn off the fire wall. does anyone have any Ideas? Thanks..............

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

You have to power cycle the modem and router. Turn off the modem and router. Turn on the modem then the router the modem needs to pick up the mac address of the router right now it knows the mac address of the pc that's why it works when you plug it back into the pc.

I have unpluged (power) the modem and router and let it sit for about 10 min. And still the same thing. I'm wondering if I did something or I should say did nothing during the set up of the router software. In the set up (router) do I have to put in a host name and domain name? If so how do I obtain it. Do I have to change the password just to get it to work?
Thank you for all your help.

The router should pick up the ip address from Comcast, you may need to re-default the router by holding down the reset button while powering it on. Are you trying to get the wireless network up or the pc on the wired connection through the linksys?

I'm trying to get the wireless net work up so I can add another p.c. for internet connection in another room in my home. I will try the re-default then let you know.

Thanks again.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.