I had it all setup before, but when my sister came home, we changed the wiring, and now its all messed up.
Its a linksys befw11s4
The home computer (XP) is connected to the internet, and my thinkpad (windows98) isnt. It has a connection to the network, but wont connect to the internet.
the thinkpad's ip adress thing is the default 192.168.1.1, but my home computer is like 65.32.xx.xxx. I can get it to be the same 192.168.1.1, but then it wont connect to the internet either.
all my settings are obtain ip adress automatically, so id ont know.
this question may be to easy for people to answer, but its driving me crazy and ive spent hours trying to figure it out. any help would be greatly appreciated.
-pat

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

the thinkpad's ip adress thing is the default 192.168.1.1

That's wrong- the 192.168.1.1 IP address is the default IP of the model of your Linksys router; if your Thinkpad or any other computers on that network have that IP address as well, there will be a conflict. By default, the BEFW11S4 should hand out IP addresses (via DHCP) to the computers that connect to it starting with 192.168.1.100; the 192.168.1.1 IP addres is the (router's) gateway IP.

but my home computer is like 65.32.xx.xxx. I can get it to be the same 192.168.1.1, but then it wont connect to the internet either.

Pleae give us more specific information on the network setup in both circumstances. For instance, on the home computer/network, do you also go through a router, or do you connect directly to a cable/DSL/etc. modem?

the setup is as follows:
the cable line goes into the cable box
the cable box goes into the router
the home comp is connected to the router in the first port.

1. Turn off the router, modem, and both computers.

2. Plug both computers into the router via the wired Ethernet ports.

3. Turn on the modem; wait for it to fully initialize.

4. Turn on the router; wait for it to fully initialize.

5. Turn on both computers; wait until Winodws has fully finished with its startup process.

6. On the XP machine, click on the "Run..." option under your Start menu, type the folowing, and then hit enter:

cmd

In the DOS window that opens, type the following command and then hit Enter:

ipconfig /all

Post the full and exact information that the ipconfig command gives you.

7. On the 98 machine, click on the "Run..." option under your Start menu, type the folowing, and then hit enter:

command

In the DOS window that opens, type the following command and then hit Enter:

winipcfg

Post the full and exact information that the winipcfg command gives you.

In trying to install the Linksys router for my friends Toshiba laptop, what cables do I use. She has an internet cable connection with Charter.net and the modem only has 2 ports, one is the large phone conection end and the other is a smaller connection lined with white inside. I can't get the router to connect.
The message I get after running the CD to a certain point, (I can't get past this) says: "your adapter connection is not ther", what adapter?, I have the router adapter already connected.

... and the other is a smaller connection lined with white inside

That's a USB port. Some modems use USB instead of the traditional Ethernet ports; the expectation being (I assume) that the modem will be connected directly to a computer (no router in the picture) through USB.

Unfortunately though, most routers use an Ethernet port for their modem-side connection. Your best bet is to see if your friend can exchange the USB modem for an Ethernet modem, as a hard-wired Ethernet connection between the modem and router usually yields more reliable connectivity.

I have a HP work station that I need to connect to the Internet. I have a Linksys and my HP lap top is connected to the internet via an Alltel card. My work station cannot find the IP address to use the Linksys. Help!!

TRuth,
It sounds like your are trying to connect to the router wirelessly, but you are connecting to the internet through a broadband Alltel card? That card does not provide "wireless" access. It provides 'broadband" access wirelessly. Basically the Alltel card conncets to a cell tower to provide internet access. A wireless card connects to a wireless router that is connected to an internet service provider at your home. They are both "wireless" but they connect to completely diferent networks.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.