I am just trying to set up my DSL for the first time.

I can connect normally to the internet with my dial-up and download webpages.

My DSL modem appears to be working great. I called my DSL's customer service, they had me do tests which showed that. I can connect to the internet.

I just can't download webpages and they said it must be something like a firewall, anti-virus, or anti-spyware program that is preventing that. I have no firewall or anti-virus on, I am sure. As far as I know, I don't have anti-spyware on. I tried many different things. I start my computer without the startup programs, but that doesnt make it work.

I downloaded and installed AVG free virus scanner and got rid of a few trojan viruses with it. I then uninstalled the virus scanner as I could not get it to shut off and I couldnt have it on. Still no luck.

How can I tell which processes running are system critical?

How can I be sure I don't have a program running that is making me unable to download webpages with DSL?

Recommended Answers

All 12 Replies

Just out of curiosity, are you using Internet Explorer?

If so make sure these settings are set : (assuimg Windows XP)

Control Panel --> Internet Options --> Connections tab --> LAN settings button, and the Automatic Detect Configuration Check box is checked.

What maybe happening is your browser is looking for your dial up connection, which may mean you might have to remove it from your Dial Up and Virtual Private Network Settings List on that Connection tab.

Hope this helps

When I attempt to set up my DSL, the dial up on my Internet Explorer is always set to "Never dial a connection." I tried checking off that box as you said, but that didn't seem to do anything. When I am trying to set up my DSL, I do it through a CD program made by my DSL provider. I don't know if Internet Explorer is involved in that. The only other thing I can say is sometimes I have to check off "yes" to a couple of "security alerts" asking if I wish to proceed during the process.

It is frustrating to have a working DSL and yet I can't use it.

Hello,

Open IE, and type this in:

http://63.240.140.119

and let me know if you resolve The Milwaukee Journal.

If you do, and you see a newspaper web-page, this means that your DNS is messed up, and we have to take a look at your DNS server. If you do not see the web page, this implies other problems.

Christian

Just tried that, Christian. Got "Cannot find server" "page cannot be displayed" screen.

Yes I would agree.

Hmm, well I am assuming you are using Windows XP then. Correct me if I am wrong, but you can open a Command Prompt and ping a site correct?? i.e. ping www.google.com??

Your ISP should log a service call and come out to see if they can diagnose the problem.

Try removing that dial up connection from the list. Check the check box, and reboot your system.

And you are certain you do not have Windows Firewall on? No Norton Antivirus or Symantic Internet Security programs running?

The reason I ask that is there may be a possibility of a corrupt TCP/IP structure. I will wait for your response before telling you how to fix this....because I am doubting that this is the case.

When I attempt to set up my DSL, the dial up on my Internet Explorer is always set to "Never dial a connection." I tried checking off that box as you said, but that didn't seem to do anything. When I am trying to set up my DSL, I do it through a CD program made by my DSL provider. I don't know if Internet Explorer is involved in that. The only other thing I can say is sometimes I have to check off "yes" to a couple of "security alerts" asking if I wish to proceed during the process.

It is frustrating to have a working DSL and yet I can't use it.

Well... as far as you told us, there should be a problem only in "connectiong" to your ISP's DSL...

Judging by DSL system over here, first I'd like to know did you get a CD with a Point to Point Protocol Over Ethernet, so called PPPoE?

If you did, the simplest way in establishing connection is through that application - that way you get installed a above mentioned protocol, and IIRC, you then can make a connection as if you were making an internet connection through a dial-up.

Those things I'm telling you are of rather speculative nature because I do have a DSL connection (I'm in no way trying to mock you), and it works since the day 1 (and that is since november last year, not very long, I must admit, but I'm from Croatia, and DSL overhere is a rather fancy and newly proclaimed high-technology-connection to Internet)...

So, if you have a PPPoE protocol installed, I can't see a reason you couldn't establish a connection...

Yet, the thing is, and that is again of speculative nature - you mustn't have any internet connection in your Internet Options - Connections tab...

I know I didn't help a lot (if at all) yet, maybe I gave you some boost to remember something you've heard and forgot or sth. alike.

Yes I would agree.

Hmm, well I am assuming you are using Windows XP then. Correct me if I am wrong, but you can open a Command Prompt and ping a site correct?? i.e. ping www.google.com??

That is correct. -->

Ping statistics
Packets sent = 4, received = 4, lost = 0
Approximate round trip times in milliseconds:
Minimum = 87ms, Maximum = 89 ms, Average = 88ms

I completely removed my dial-up connections from my list. I checked the box next to "Automatically detect settings" under LAN Settings. I then re-booted my system.

My Windows Security Center says that Firewall is "off" and Virus Protection is "not found." There is no Firewall or Virus Protection installed that I am aware of.

I open IE and get "UNABLE TO ACCESS THE VERIZON ONLINE NETWORK." I close it. I open the CD DSL setup program. It seems like the "testing connection between computer, network, and modem server" part works. Then it tries to connect to the account activation server and it fails.

How can I be certain that I don't have anti-virus, anti-spyware, or firewall running? These are the processes running according to Windows Task Manager after my computer starts:

Image Name | User Name | CPU | Mem Usage

wuauclt.exe SYSTEM 00 6,804 K (disappears after 5 minutes)
System Idle Process SYSTEM 98 16 K
alg.exe LOCAL SERVICE 00 3,228 K
taskmgr.exe 00 3,864 K
explorer.exe 02 8,028 K
LEXPPS.EXE 00 1,672 K
spoolsv.exe 00 2,984 K
LEXBCES.EXE 00 1,396 K
wanmpsvc.exe 00 1,980 K
PackethSvc.exe 00 1,324 K
svchost.exe 00 3,372 K
svchost.exe 00 1,916 K
svchost.exe 00 18,800 K
svchost.exe 00 2,556 K
svchost.exe 00 3,556 K
lsass.exe 00 1,076 K
services.exe 00 2,936 K
winlogin.exe 00 2,396 K
csrss.exe 00 1,704 K
smss.exe 00 200 K
System 00 76 K

During the CD setup screen,

the following add themselves to the list:

vzTaskEngine.exe MyUserName 00 6,924 K
cmisrv.exe MyUserName 00 5,496 K
vzUIFrame.exe MyUserName 00 12,000 K

this appears for one minute as I try to connect:

vzNetSvc.exe MyUserName 00 4,296 K

Do any of them look odd? What should I try to delete?

One odd thing I can mention is that sometimes with regular dial-up, usually soon after my first webpage loads, I will get a couple of windows pop up that say

"dtdp://748 | 331 | 1 |
jgen44.cjt1.net/HTM/704/0/JavaSiteRequest.asp?LV=6000&DC=453&NF=0...
This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Create an association in the Folder Options control panel."
and
"Internet Explorer cannot open this helper application for dtdp://748 | 331 | 1 | jgen44.cjt1.net/HTM/704/0/JavaSiteRequest.asp?LV=6000&DC=453&NF=0&IW=720&IH=300&ORD=1122324951203?&.
The protocol specified in this address is not valid. Make sure the address is correct, and try again."

They used to be just regular pop-ups. I would think they were spyware related. I'm thinking that something residual stuck after I tried to clean up my registry, deleted some Trojan viruses, or deleted netdaemon.exe. Likely culprit or not?

I've found the problem - finally.

All I needed to do was delete my temporary internet files.

What a pain this was.

I am having this problem too! Except i've tried all the above and it still wont work! This is really annoying, been like it for days now and no one knows...please help.

ML

levis, good luck. The only thought I can offer is that customer service representatives are like doctors in one way: each one offers a different diagnosis. That's how I managed to fix my problem by deleting temporary internet files. I hope you have luck finding the answer on this site or wherever you can find it.

levis, good luck. The only thought I can offer is that customer service representatives are like doctors in one way: each one offers a different diagnosis. That's how I managed to fix my problem by deleting temporary internet files. I hope you have luck finding the answer on this site or wherever you can find it.

My mother just had this problem today 10/24/06 with her crap ass verizon DSL. She was connected via her Linksys router because her standalone tivo needed internet access to download the guide data. Well during the brief OCT snowstorm they just had her power was knocked out and it wiped out her routers settings.

I told her to wait for my help, but she didn't and she called the F'ing idiots at Verizon. They set her up with a new connection via Network Connections and had her directly plug her computer into the DSL modem. She forgot about her Tivo needing access and a few days later she called me up again to complain that her tivo was saying that it was running out of guide data and would stop all recordings in a matter of days.

I had her plug her computer back into her router and the DSL modem back into the WAN or Internet port on the router as well. I had her re-enter her login information. I didn't work. I logged into her verizon account via their website (I live in California, she lives in Buffalo, NY). After logging in I reset her password. Took me a few times to realize it wasn't working right away because their server says it sometimes takes up to an hour before the new password becomes effective.

Once it was able to connect with the new password, we tried loading a web page. No luck. We tried to load www.google.com and got the stupid message that says, "Unable to access the verizon online network" Bastards! I tried msn.com & yahoo.com. They both loaded fine. I tried http://del.icio.us (her home page) and got the same error message. This told me it was something related to the DNS servers - since some pages load fine & others crap out.

www.opendns.com is a free, unfiltered DNS service. If you change your local settings to list

as your primary and secondary DNS servers, it will fix this problem, as you will no longer be using the automatically assigned craptacular Verizon DSL DNS servers (which are probably filtered to not allow you to find *certain* websites anyway).

Hope this helps anyone else experiencing the same problem with Verizon. Oh and by the way, yes I did try to flush the dns and re-register the dns via the command window, and no it didn't work... neither did clearing the cookies or temp internet files.

Only the reassignment of the DNS info worked.

F-UCK Verizon!

Hello,

Open IE, and type this in:

http://63.240.140.119

and let me know if you resolve The Milwaukee Journal.

If you do, and you see a newspaper web-page, this means that your DNS is messed up, and we have to take a look at your DNS server. If you do not see the web page, this implies other problems.

Christian

I am having the same type of issue. I loaded the address you just put in there and it came up. Is there something wrong here?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.