Hi all,
Currently hosting site on my winxp with abyss web server, i have dsl with a recently-changed-to dynamic dns service (sucks!). Anyways, i am currently hosting through dyndns.org, a utility which updates your IP with the DNS service each time it changes. I would like to install a mail server on my machine so that I can use "sendmail" with my web site, but i am not quite sure how to go about this with the given DNS stipulations. Please advise as to what the server names should be, etc.

Thanks,
Derek

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

If you are running windows, this is posssible, however I would high recommend running MailEnable. :cheesy:

The only issue with this is that is you may need to change some of the coding to work correctly.

If you are running windows, this is posssible, however I would high recommend running MailEnable. :cheesy:

The only issue with this is that is you may need to change some of the coding to work correctly.

ok i am just wondering though, what will the address of my mail server be, given my DNS as "mysite.gotdns.com", pointing to my http server? This seems to be the point at which I run into trouble.

Thanks,
Derek

Hello,

I am sure that it is possible to setup a mail server using Windows XP. Probably not the best suited environment for it, but it should work out.

The larger question is if someone else is going to be able to receive your email effectively. More and more places are scanning email messages, and killing off anything that comes from a dialup or DCHP-based email server, such as what your box would be. You wouldn't have problems sending email to various accounts that you control *internally*, but anything that hits the open internet could be blocked just because some turkey ruined the road before you.

This happened to me; I was using linux to do email services for some club newsletters, and AOL and Road Runner started blocking the emails. The solution was to go to a non-dhcp gathered address and use that for the mail server instead.

Christian

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.