I think I screwed up the installation of my NetGear WG602v2 wireless access point. I followed the installation guide (configured my pc with the ip address of the WG602, connected the wg602 to the ethernet port, connected to the wg602 and logged in) up to the step "click the IP Settings link and configure the IP Settings according to your network setup." Here is where I think I made my mistake -- I changed the IP settings to my network ip settings. I immediately lost connection to the wg602 and I have not been able to connect back to it. MY question is how do I undo this? I have installed the installed the adapter into a laptop and it sees the signal from the wg602 but there is no communications. Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do from here?

cshie1 commented: netgear wifi change password set up +0

Recommended Answers

All 24 Replies

Is there some kind of reset button on the back of the device? Can you remember the IP address that you entered, if so, try connecting to that address.

Heh,heh -- you bet!

After a good night of sleep, the panic subsided and I found the reset button. This time I read all the docs, figured out which of the ambiguous statements I misinterpreted and, I think, got it set up correctly. I am waiting for my gf to come home with the laptop to verify that all is well.

I still think that "click the IP Settings link and configure the IP Settings according to your network setup." is too ambiguous when what they really mean is click 'enable IP Settings' button (the IP settings are filled in correctly from the factory).

Grim

ps one of the sad facts of adhd is that after 40 years of jumping off the cliff then looking for the parachute, you jump off the very next cliff.

I am having trouble hooking up my wireless router
I have everything hooked up properly, the correct lights are lit up on both the router and the modem...but it still says there is no wireless connection....please help me, I'm not good with this stuff!

"I am having trouble hooking up my wireless router
I have everything hooked up properly, the correct lights are lit up on both the router and the modem...but it still says there is no wireless connection....please help me, I'm not good with this stuff!"

what kind of wireless router do you have?
have you ever been able to connect wirelessly with this computer before?

"I am having trouble hooking up my wireless router
I have everything hooked up properly, the correct lights are lit up on both the router and the modem...but it still says there is no wireless connection....please help me, I'm not good with this stuff!"

what kind of wireless router do you have?
have you ever been able to connect wirelessly with this computer before?

I have Netgear and, yes, I have hooked up to wireless before. I have a friend who says my computer is trying to read the OLD wireless connection instead of the new. I have no clue what's going on!!! haha :rolleyes:

If it's trying to connect to an old wireless network, you should be able to go to Start-Control Panel-Network Connections-Wireless Network Connection-View Network Connections.
From there you will see the networks that are in range, if you are saving information for an old connection that is no longer in range, you should be able to refresh your network list and select your new one that will be in the list if you set the router up correctly...

just let me know what happens with that and we can work from there

It doesn't pull up ANY networks when I click refresh! :(

try doing the factory reset on the router. the lights may look ok but it's possible it's a problem with the router, have to tried to connect through the router with an ethernet cable?

oh, and do you have a cable or dsl connection while im thinking about it

Yeah, I have cable modem. I'll try and check out the router stuff. thanks for your help!

just let me know how it goes...good luck

Yeah, I have cable modem. I'll try and check out the router stuff. thanks for your help!

I'm not sure if I'm posting properly; if not, just point me in the right direction. Anyway, I have a Netgear router model (WGR614 v6) which I have had for more than a year (warranty for 1 year) and it worked perfectly until we had a big Comcast outage (Comcast modem). Since then I have been unable to access the internet wirelessly. I've tracked down some of the problem but am still stumped with a message reading: "No connectivity: Network did not assign a network address to the computer." Netgear does not provide tech support and Comcast has taken me as far as they want to go. I believe it is a problem of the router configuration since I am connecting through the router - just not able to go online. I need help please.

Hey, Since this has happened, have you tried or been able to connect wirelessly from somewhere else just to eliminate it being the computer?
What version of windows or mac do you have?
Have you tried doing a factory reset on the router and reconfiguring it? just let me know and hopefully we can get you back up. Take care.

Hey defeated, thanks for the reply. I haven't tried to wirelessly connect my laptop to any other source; however, I have tried to send to my printer, which is also wireless, but that doesn't work. I just get a message that the printer is unplugged, etc. I am able to connect to the web via a wired connection through my router, then to the Comcast modem. What is so frustrating is that my wireless icon indicates that I am connected and the signal strength is excellent - but I just cannot get to the internet. Any further advice will be appreciated. :(

It's me again, I forgot to tell you that I am using Windows XP; the router is Netgear WGR614 v6 and my modem is provided by Comcast.

Should have thought to add this information. At one point I shut everything off, had Comcast reset the modem, then plugged in the router (which had been reset on the back), then turned the laptop back on. Then went to Netgear set up online and reset the basic and wireless settings. Unfortunately, still cannot access the web wirelessly. Even after that, I realized that I had not disabled my firewall. Did that, then started again (except didn't have Comcast modem reset), but pushed reset on router, then everything back on - still no luck!!!! Instincts tell me that the earlier Comcast outage did something with the router settings that I have not be able to identify; to say nothing of the fact that I am a novice at all this stuff. Help!

hey all,
got a netgear wireless modem router, the 54mbps one with usb adapter. I cant get the wireless goin on it or get on the net.
anyone suggestions??
cheers,
Corr:twisted:

It's me again, I forgot to tell you that I am using Windows XP; the router is Netgear WGR614 v6 and my modem is provided by Comcast.

Purchased my own comcast will not help all ready tried them.
Netgear person tryed thur automatic setup nothing.
rourter will not pick internet connection to hard wired cable connection to computer any longer wire but wireless is working just fine.
Win. xp help only way around this is call out an tech. from comcast
they know how to set it up!

any help:
Thank you.
Edward H. Crutcher

I'm having the same problem. Comcast guy came out, tried to ping different ip addy's but the computer has automatically assigned one and we can't get it to release that one, renew a different one. He told me the only way around it is to have a computer tech come out and fix the problem. IE will not go anywhere! Even if I type the ip addy in myself! Nor will command prompt. What can I do?

Somebody please help my internet on this computers working throught the router and i go to my xbox/ipod and it can not connect i go to the wireless connection page it says disconnected so i clik connect and it says connnection failed. xbox trouble shoot started saying it was the problem connecting to the connector now its not even showing i have it plugged in i have a WNA2000 Netgear Router....fast response please helP!!!

Hi I have a wireless netgear router n it won't let me connect to my wirelss laptop..i belive it says it's not connecting for some reasonī˜Pls help me connect them idk y is so hard..

I have my router connected and the net where the modem and the router are is working fine, but I can't get a signal up stairs where I need the net. I got a usb flash thing and it won't keep a connection. I had one for a second and when I tried to get online, I lost it and can't get it back. I've called the net provider and they told me to call netgear. I never go to talk to them I was on hold for an hour. HELP!!! I've been trying to get the net upstairs for a month now!!!

Caution: Please make sure before pressing the Reset button you have enough information about your Internet connection. Like Router IP, DNS, Gateway etc etc.

Hi there, I'm having the same problem! I have a Netgear WGR614 Ive tried the reset and have used the laptop wireless all the time! I hooked the ethernet up to the laptop and connected through the router and it worked. any ideas?? many thanks

i dont have the cd installation what can i do help plz

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.