Hey, when we (my brother before I came) set up the wireless network here, he didn't put in any sort of function whereby a code would be needed to access our network. Now, we've got so many people sucking off of our "Netgear" network that I'll get booted off from 7-10 pm (prime internet time for a lot of people). Is there any way I can simply adjust the settings so only the three laptops and one pc currently used in the apartment can use the network?? In other words, how do I get the network off of a public setup?? The model is Netgear MR814v2, laptops running on windows xp. Oh, and the wireless thingamajigger was originally installed on the computer (Windows 00 or 98, I think). Does that mean I have to change the settings there or can I do it from my laptop?? Thanks..

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

You will want to reconfigure the router from a computer that is pysically attached to it. When you change the security settings and add a WEP key, the router will reboot, and you will be unable to connect to it until you have your settings on the computer updated. I would recommend that you have one computer connected with cables, and another computer connected wirelessly at the same area that you are working in. Turn on the router encryption, create a key, restart the router, and then reconfigure all the wireless clients. This way, if you mess up, you are still connected to the router.

Turn on the router encryption, create a key, restart the router, and then reconfigure all the wireless clients.

What do you mean, "reconfigure the wireless clients?" Does that mean simply reconnecting to the network and inputing the WEP?

You will have to input the key on each of the clients in order for them to connect to the reconfigured router. The ease of this process all depends on how nice your software is to you. Most software will simply pop up a dialog box asking for the key when trying to reconnect.

Thanks, I'll try that out.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.