I have experienced trouble with my network connection - I cannot establish a connection too my wireless ADSL router (NetGear DG834G) using the NetGear WG111v2 USB 2.0 adapter.

My PC is connected via ethernet too the router. IP configuration is automatic and the router (set to DHCP) assigns IP address from the address pool (192.168.0.2 - 192.168.0.254).

The ethernet connected PC is assigned 192.168.0.2 and the router is set too 192.168.0.1 - subnet mask is 255.255.255.0. The second computer - my dads, is being configured to connect over wireless using the afore mentioned adpater.

I have checked the router configuration and believe that is as needs be for a wireless connection to be made. I somewhat managed to confirm this when I got the network broadcast name on my dads pc.

Router Status

Account Name
Firmware Version V3.01.25

ADSL Port
MAC Address 00:0f:b5:c1:67:39
IP Address 84.9.149.68
Network Type PPPoA
IP Subnet Mask 255.255.255.255
Gateway IP Address 83.146.18.71
Domain Name Server 83.146.21.6

LAN Port
MAC Address 00:0f:b5:c1:67:38
IP Address 192.168.0.1
DHCP On
IP Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0

Modem
ADSL Firmware Version 4.01.02.00
Modem Status Connected
DownStream Connection Speed 3296 kbps
UpStream Connection Speed 576 kbps
VPI 0
VCI 38

Wireless Port
Name (SSID) RICHMOND01
Region Europe
Channel 11
Wireless AP Enabled
Broadcast Name Enabled

The router firmware has been updated too the latest version as I have also done for the USB adapter. I have started receiving message "Media disconnected" when I run ipconfig /all command on my dads pc. After re-installing the drivers and still receiving the same message I restored the system too before I had first installed the adapter. The auto-detect of the adapter come on - install the driver and I still get the same message. What seems strange is that the adapter still seems to function and I can use the XP wireless network detection and see the wireless network but cannot establish a connection.

The only time that I did manage to establish a connection I could not ping my pc or the router. I have tried assigning the following values too the USB adapter;

IP Address - 192.168.0.3
Subnet Mask - 255.255.255.0
Default gateway - 192.168.0.1

Primary DNS 192.168.0.1

and the same result.

I am now at a total loss and cannot seem to resolve my problem.

Please please help - my belief is it is probably something quite simple that I am missing but after three days and various different approaches I can see no resolution.

Sincerely

S Richmond

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

So, the wireless card does or does not see the WAP?

If it's not seeing it, there's a problem there-- could be interference, could be a bad card/antenna connection.

If it is seeing it, do you have any firewalls installed, like Norton or McAfee? If so, uninstall them, and see what we get from there.

The wireless adapter and windows are seeing the broadcast name of the network and tells me as I would expect that the network is security enabled and the SSID name. The same media disconnected message is received when I run ipconfig and I have had no success in changing this.

The pc is running Panda Platinum security - I will try un-installing this when I have an opportune moment. I believe that the windows xp firewall is set, but has exceptions for incoming ping echo and a few other services such as ICMP and the HTTP/HTTPS services.

So to conclude the adapter seems to be functioning but I cannot assign or have assigned IP addresses either manually or automatically.

I did change the classid with IPConfig - would this have made a difference?

I have checked to confirm and the system sees the WAP but does not establish a connection. I have however managed to establish a connection to a secondary wireless connection that is displayed in "Wireless Network Connections".

I have changed the IP Address pool from 192.168.0.x too 192.168.100.x but still cannot get a network connection. I also disabled the security settings on my router temporarily to see if I could get a connection that way and it still does not make a connection.

Does anybody know if it is worth resetting the router and configuring it from scratch. If this is an option or potentially the best way forward could somebody please supply me some specifics on procedures too follow during setup of my wireless network.

Just to re-iterate I am using a NetGear DG834Gv2 router and NetGear WG111v2 USB adpater.

My PC is running the windows xp firewall and I have had no problems. My dads PC is running Panda Platinum Security and also has the windows xp firewall enabled. Both PCs are XP SP2.

The windows connection manager tells me signal strength and broadcast name for the router (machines are not more than 15m apart).

ISP is BullDog if that makes a difference.

Thanks again for any help provided.

I have resolved this. I disable Access Control and have reset the USB adpater to auto-configuration. Changed the wireless security from WEP to WPA-PSK and rebooted the machine.

Everything has connected and is functioning properly.

Thank-you for your help.

Stewart

I have experienced trouble with my network connection - I cannot establish a connection too my wireless ADSL router (NetGear DG834G) using the NetGear WG111v2 USB 2.0 adapter.

My PC is connected via ethernet too the router. IP configuration is automatic and the router (set to DHCP) assigns IP address from the address pool (192.168.0.2 - 192.168.0.254).

The ethernet connected PC is assigned 192.168.0.2 and the router is set too 192.168.0.1 - subnet mask is 255.255.255.0. The second computer - my dads, is being configured to connect over wireless using the afore mentioned adpater.

I have checked the router configuration and believe that is as needs be for a wireless connection to be made. I somewhat managed to confirm this when I got the network broadcast name on my dads pc.

Router Status

Account Name
Firmware Version V3.01.25

ADSL Port
MAC Address 00:0f:b5:c1:67:39
IP Address 84.9.149.68
Network Type PPPoA
IP Subnet Mask 255.255.255.255
Gateway IP Address 83.146.18.71
Domain Name Server 83.146.21.6

LAN Port
MAC Address 00:0f:b5:c1:67:38
IP Address 192.168.0.1
DHCP On
IP Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0

Modem
ADSL Firmware Version 4.01.02.00
Modem Status Connected
DownStream Connection Speed 3296 kbps
UpStream Connection Speed 576 kbps
VPI 0
VCI 38

Wireless Port
Name (SSID) RICHMOND01
Region Europe
Channel 11
Wireless AP Enabled
Broadcast Name Enabled

The router firmware has been updated too the latest version as I have also done for the USB adapter. I have started receiving message "Media disconnected" when I run ipconfig /all command on my dads pc. After re-installing the drivers and still receiving the same message I restored the system too before I had first installed the adapter. The auto-detect of the adapter come on - install the driver and I still get the same message. What seems strange is that the adapter still seems to function and I can use the XP wireless network detection and see the wireless network but cannot establish a connection.

The only time that I did manage to establish a connection I could not ping my pc or the router. I have tried assigning the following values too the USB adapter;

IP Address - 192.168.0.3
Subnet Mask - 255.255.255.0
Default gateway - 192.168.0.1

Primary DNS 192.168.0.1

and the same result.

I am now at a total loss and cannot seem to resolve my problem.

Please please help - my belief is it is probably something quite simple that I am missing but after three days and various different approaches I can see no resolution.

Sincerely

S Richmond

I had the same trouble with netgear adapter take out your ethernet cable it is only for setting up the configuration. my router is the netgear
834 super router with a netgear wireless adapter, try losing the cable and i think you will be ok. Let me know how you get on.
<email snipped>
mick

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.