Hello, first time posting here, so I'll explain this as best I can ^_^ Pretty much I have 2 comps sharing cable internet on a 4-port DLink router (wired connection for both). Couple weeks ago I had to reinstall windows 2000 on my main machine (the troublemaker). Recently, I've run into the problem of my internet connection being dropped on the main computer, and if I disable/enable the LAN connection the internet comes back for maybe 3-4 minutes. Now, while the internet is "down" on the main machine, I can't do anything internet related (Overnet, Internet Explorer, AIM, ICQ, etc) but I can do local network operations (both comps can ping eachother, and the 2nd computer is unaffected by the connection losses my main machine suffers, so i dont think the router is to blame). The router gives a staic ip to both machines, has built in firewall that i've configured (main comp hosts http/ftp, 2nd hosts mysql) and it works great. the main comp also has NIS2002 (and therefore also NAV2002, both updated weekly), i just scanned for viruses: none. Did a quick cleanup with HijackThis (great tool). The system seems to be in peak condition, but for some reason, still losing the internet...? :confused:

Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks! ^_^

P.S.! Real quick: While the main comp is suffering from its internet-blackout, it appears to be sending packets, but not receiving any in return. This goes back to normal as I mentioned when I disable/enable the LAN connection... weird huh?

14 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by TheOgre

Check the power saving properties for the NIC, and make sure it's not shutting off the device to save power.

This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.