I have Installed Window XP Pro in my computer with all the latest patches and an updated Mcafee Antivirus. When I am creating a Dialer using connection wizard, the connect using a dialup modem and connect using a broadband that requires a user name and password are disable. I've tried many things like remove my antivirus then reinstalled my modem but didn't work. plz help me.

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

Dial-up Modem or PPPoE Option in New Connection Wizard Is Unavailable

The information in this article applies to:

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
Microsoft Windows XP Professional
This article was previously published under Q320558

IMPORTANT: This article contains information about modifying the registry. Before you modify the registry, make sure to back it up and make sure that you understand how to restore the registry if a problem occurs. For information about how to back up, restore, and edit the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

256986 Description of the Microsoft Windows Registry

SYMPTOMS

If you use the New Connection Wizard to create a new dial-up modem or PPP over Ethernet (PPPoE) connection, you may experience one or both of the following behaviors:

The Connect using a dial-up modem option in the New Connection Wizard is unavailable (appears dimmed).
The Connect using a broadband connection that requires a user name and password option in the New Connection Wizard is unavailable.
As a result, you cannot create a dial-up modem connection or PPPoE connection to the Internet.

CAUSE

This behavior may occur if both of the following conditions are true:

You upgrade your computer to Microsoft Windows XP from Microsoft Windows 98 Second Edition or Microsoft Windows 98.
One or both of the following entries in the Windows registry are damaged or contain incorrect settings:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Telephony\Cards\NextID

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Telephony

RESOLUTION

To resolve this issue, use the following methods in the order in which they are presented.

Method 1

Delete the NextID value in the registry, and then restart the computer. To do this, follow these steps:

WARNING: If you use Registry Editor incorrectly, you may cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that you can solve problems that result from using Registry Editor incorrectly. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.

1. Click Start, and then click Run.

2. In the Open box, type regedit, and then click OK.

3. Locate and click the following registry key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Telephony\Cards

4. In the right pane of the Registry Editor window, click NextID.

5. On the Edit menu, click Delete.

6. When you are prompted to confirm the deletion, click Yes.

7. On the File menu, click Exit to quit Registry Editor.

8. Start the New Connection Wizard, and then create a new dial-up modem connection or PPPoE connection.

If the issue is resolved and you can create a new dial-up modem connection or PPPoE connection, do not follow the remaining steps in this article.

If the issue is not resolved, follow the steps in method 2.

Method 2

Delete the Telephony key in the Windows registry, and then do an in-place upgrade of Windows XP. To do this, follow these steps:

1. Click Start, and then click Run.

2. In the Open box, type regedit, and then click OK.

3. Locate and click the following registry key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Telephony

4. On the Edit menu, click Delete.

5. When you are prompted to confirm the deletion, click Yes.

6. On the File menu, click Exit to quit Registry Editor.

7. Do an in-place upgrade of Windows XP.

REFERENCES

For additional information about how to perform an in-place upgrade of Windows XP, click the article number below to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

315341 How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade (Reinstallation) of Windows XP

For additional information about how to create a dial-up modem connection in Windows XP, click the article number below to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

305549 HOW TO: Configure a Connection to the Internet in Windows XP Professional

310410 HOW TO: Configure and Use Dial-Up Connections in Windows XP

For additional information about how to create a PPPoE connection in Windows XP, click the article number below to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

283070 HOW TO: Create a PPPoE Connection in Windows XP

I would try this first.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.