i m starting to work on peer to peer network...can anybody tell me a good resource to start on with....
I m thinking to do it as my final year project...a research kind of....

Recommended Answers

All 14 Replies

It would help to have more details about your peer to peer network plans.

Are all the devices of one operating system?

Are all the devices on the same physical network? (LAN)

Are you planning on sharing file? Files and printers? Streaming media between them?

Please answer these questions and we can get to work . . .

Thanks!

actually i m starting to research about it...if u have idea of any category plz help me...So that i can proceed n learn more n more about peer to peer network....

The simplest peer to peer network consists of two computers, both with their network ports connected to the same switch. (A switch is a hardware device that enables communication between two or more computers or other devices.)

Do you have a budget for your project? Are you going to be using an existing facility?

I can go to any extent for this....if u have solution cheap then it would be better but still if it's a bit costly i would manage....

You can find a very simple, small switch for less than $30

http://tinyurl.com/6c3x9m8

Do you have two computers to use?

ya i have....2 PC's...

Agree with davidchilders, you can use a switch or create a network both of you can join. SCreen sharing and file sharing also works. What do you want to do with a peer network.

This is my requirement...
Over the course of four milestones, you will create from scratch a P2P system, that
• creates a network of many peers
• self-organises the network into an overlay structure reflecting the strengths of the individual peers
• shares information about items held by the peers across the network through gossipping
• searches the network using k-walkers

Milestone 1 – Peer Discovery

Each peer is characterised by
• a short, unique name, eg. 'P1'
• an address, ie. IP address and port number
• a capacity denoting the maximum number of neighbours, suggested range 1-10

Milestone 2 – Building the Overlay Network
Extend your system, so that an overlay network is constructed. Each peer must choose a number of neighbours from its pool of peers. Do not exceed the maximum number of neighbours. Keep in mind that
• neighbourhood is a matter of negotiation – peers must agree to become neighbours
• peers may disappear without warning – your peers should have a mechanism for discovering missing or unresponsive peers, and adjusting their neighbourhood accordingly.

Milestone 3 – Adding Content

The purpose of this assignment is to add content to your overlay network, and to enable the peers to share information about the content that they hold.
The content: Choose a directory with many files. Assign a (random) number of files to each peer at runtime. Each peer should keep an index consisting of file names and sizes.
Peers should periodically update their 1-hop neighbours with their own indicies. Care take that this traffic does not overload the network nor any of the peers.

Milestone 4 – Searching the Network

The purpose of this assignment is to implement k-walker searching, thus enabling peers to locate (and download) resources across the network.
k and TTL should be configurable. You may implement your walker algorithm as you see fit, though it of course should use the distributed indicies. Implement a find command to search for files across the network, and a get command to retrieve a found file.

Wow. Well. Many of these terms are beyond my vocabulary . . . I'm sure that the fundamental concepts are there somewhere in my mind - but to be honest with you, this sounds more like a leeching, file sharing, peer to peer network something like Gnutella - enabling people to share files illegally.

Peer to peer across a LAN is one thing - peer to peer across the Internet discovering people you don't even know is quite another.

At this point I would like to say that I am sorry. I will no longer help you with a peer to peer network across the Internet. It is not morally correct (in my personal opinion) to do this.

Best of luck with your project.

/David C.

ya u r write it is somewhat similar to Gnutella....but the thing is till now we can't say it illegal.....because sender is sharing his document......
It's legal.....and many a times question has been raised but nobody has proved it illegal...
Moreover....the torrent works on same principle....so u can't declare it illegal...
Ok no problem....i just hope u understand and if u have any idea u can share with me for this.....
Thanks david

I can't understand a single thing of what you said. I will teach you the basic of a peep to peer network the rest you have to be on your own.

Good luck to your project. Try posting your thread in the IT professional lounge, IT experts there will be able to help you

hey jingda ...so what basics can u teach me...i want to develop an application based on peer to peer network....
Plz help what ever u know for the same....

Just because something has not been proven illegal doesn't make it right.

I am not declaring it illegal - but what people do with it often is - and it is a prime vector for malware.

I understand what you're saying and what you're doing and I make no judgement on you personally.

I simply choose to not promote the creation of this kind of network.

Thank you very much and good luck.

@david-ok.i thought of changing my project and now i have another option in peer to peer network....
This is my project requirement....:-

Project Name: A Semantic Web Service-based P2P Infrastructure for the Interoperability of Medical Information Systems

Key issues: eHealth, Interoperability of Medical Information Systems, Web services for the medical domain, Semantically enriched Web services for the healthcare, Web Service registries, Semantic mediation of Healthcare ontologies, P2P Technologies for the discovery of healthcare services.

ARTEMIS Project's Main Achievements:
One of the key problems in healthcare informatics is the inability to share patient records across enterprises. There are several standardization efforts to digitally represent clinical data such as HL7 CDA, EHRcom and openEHR.

So i want an XML point to securely exchange data over internet.....

Please help me out how to begin with.....and which programming language will be best suited for this...Ithink it could be done using rmi in java ...
But still if u have any other idea please exchange with me.....
I will be grateful to u....

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.