HI all,
I have already searched the internet and have not found any information that is relevant to my problem. Currently I had to reuse my prior hdd that had my original OS installed. This hdd was cloned onto my new hdd, which recent was wiped somehow. Using this prior hdd, I am now unable to connect to my secured network, but was able to on the cloned hdd. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the wireless NIC. I have no other idea as to solve this problem.

Curretnly:
Windows XP Home SP2
Dell Dimension 3000
Linksys WMP54G PCI WNIC v4.0

Currently updating the system.

Also using the Microsoft Configuration Utility instead of Linksys, but the same problem with Linksys.

Any help is greatly appreciated, and thank you in advance.

Recommended Answers

All 13 Replies

So you were saying you can't connect to network properly with the HDD with the original OS but can connect with HDD that has been cloned. Did you try to diagnose your HDD for possible bad sector?

Can you connect using a cable?

Sorry it took so long to get back I had a family death this last week. I will be scanning the original he'd for bad sectors. I did not think to try this thank you for that bit of information. I could possibly connect through a cable but it is not practical because the router is at one end of the house with another desktop connected to it and my desktop is at the other end. I am only having a problem with connecting securely before I reclone the hdd. I will have results tomorrow in regards to the bad sector scan. Thank you for the help thus far.

I need to clarify this clearly. Just straight answers ok, no others.

1) Can you connect to the Wifi ?
2) Can you connect to the internet using an ethernet cable ?
3) Does any other family members have problem with this?

Make sure Wifi switch is turn on.

I need to clarify this clearly. Just straight answers ok, no others.

1) Can you connect to the Wifi ?
2) Can you connect to the internet using an ethernet cable ?
3) Does any other family members have problem with this?

Make sure Wifi switch is turn on.

Yes. Yes. No. My problem is only dealing with the connection to secured networks.

When you mean secured networks do you mean networks that is protected with a password protected like WPA? Make sure your firewall settings is configure to allow password protect networks or other security softwares you have.

Reset your linksy router. At the back of the router there is a reset button use something and hold down the button for 30 seconds ( old models ) and 10 seconds for ( newer model of linksy router).

When you mean secured networks do you mean networks that is protected with a password protected like WPA? Make sure your firewall settings is configure to allow password protect networks or other security softwares you have.

Reset your linksy router. At the back of the router there is a reset button use something and hold down the button for 30 seconds ( old models ) and 10 seconds for ( newer model of linksy router).

I mean a network with a password, secured, and my firewall settings have not changed. I cloned the drive an d the placed it on the shelf until recently when I had to pull it out to recline and discovered that it cannot connect to the secured networks.

Last resort try formatting your hard disk.

Jingda,
Thank you for your post and I too have recently come to the same conclusion of needing to reformat the hdd. As a result of this conclusion I have decided to close the thread with my greatest thanks to everyone that commented and tried to help with my problem. Once again Thank You for your thoughts and input.

Jingda,
Thank you for your input and I too have come to the same conclusion that this is the only definitive resolution. Thank you for the input and thank you to everyone else for the input. I have already planned to reformat the hdd this coming weekend and this seems to be the only resolution right now. I had asked my boss about this earlier this past week and he was stumped after I explained the problem. He agreed with me about the reformat of the hdd.
Thank you to everyone else that posted you provided great insight into the problem.

You are welcome, hope you enjoy your stay here:)

Yes friend last restore your windows and see result.

Yes friend last restore your windows and see result.

You were late 2 weeks after this thread is marked as solved. Don't post in old thread or solved thread anymore and please no unnecessary ad-link in your signature. Most people here hate it.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.