Hey eveyone,
I would like to create a job, and not sure how, that the server will send out everynight that will power down all of the PC's on the network and then powering them back on in the morning. I would like to do this without it effecting the servers. My company is always saying that we need to find ways to save them money so I was thinking that having over a hundred computers running 24 hours a day 7 days a week is pretty wasteful.

Thanks

Not sure how to power them back on, but there a couple way to power off... you can build a program that accepts a network connection from the server, and behaves accordingly... probably not the most efficient method.... the best method, in my opinion, is the shutdown command, available with XP. Here is a link: http://www.computerhope.com/shutdown.htm.

So it would look something like: shutdown -i

you could put this in a task scheduler, or build a program that checks the time, and runs the shutdown command at the given time. As for powering on..... I'll let you know if I find anything.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.