hi guys, i need all the help i can squeeze out of you great people... wireless networking is driving me insane...

ISP- Homecall (if anyone else is on homecall and have successfully set up a router PLEASE contact me)
-The main problem seems to be the fact that it uses a dynamic IP, (since all my friends just enters a static IP into their routers and it works )

Router
make- Sparkcom (the stupid company doesn't even have a website)
model- haven't got a clue, its no where to be found

My story
right, i have bought this router over a year ago...
didnt have a clue how to set it up so left it to one side...
then about half a year ago, a friend set up the router for me (took us over 5 hours) and it worked fine....
then about 2months ago, the router stopped working and havnt worked since....
had the friend assist me set it up, but had no luck...
googled this place and now praying that you guys out there could lend me a hand.... :cheesy:

i am a complete noob to wireless networking, and all i can say is that it does not work...
the main problem seems to lie in the WAN settings, since i CANNOT connect to the internet at all through the modem router...

Here is a print screen of the Wan Configuation page
http://filenuke.com/yourfiles//1142039974.PNG

The only thing i know for certain is that the username and password is definately correct, everything else makes no sense to me....

could someone tell me where to find the relavant information from and where they should go?

thank you in advance.... wireles networking has been a nightmare to me....

-penguinboi
aka, Derek

Recommended Answers

All 19 Replies

erm.... please?

well here's a simpler question, how would i go about setting up a router with an ISP which uses a dynamic IP address?
what would i enter into the static IP field?
and how would i make it find its own IP address?

thanks in advance,
penguinboi aka, Derek

oh come on.... pritty please?

am i not even worth a 'go away, you are spamming this forum up' reply?

OK then, a change of scenario, i have given up completely on my old router (unless somebody could help me out)....
i am looking to buy a new wireless ADSL router,

Which will be best suited to be configured up with a Dynamic IP address?

i currently have my eye on a US Robotics wireless ADSL2+ router as recommended in a copy of the computer shopper magazine.
is this an easy to set up router?
and will the ADSL2+ work with a normal ADSL connection?

somebody please reply,
my homework depends on it.....

penguinboi aka,
Derek

ok then, heres my final post...

is anyone using an internet connection with a dynamic IP address?
if so, please reply and tell me the make and model of your router....

somebody PLEASE reply, at the very most all you need to do is type 2-3 words.

y'know what? this forum sucks....

Would you like some cheese with that whine? :)

You shouldn't have to mess with any of your routers settings and it shouldn't make a difference if your ISP is using dynamic IP addressing. Pretty much every cable provider out there is using dhcp.

To be honest with you, on the numerous routers I've installed for people I've never had to mess with the internal settings other than to change the default username and password. Now, pretty much all of these were you're run of the mill hardwired networks using cat5 but wireless ethernet uses the same principles.

With the limited amount of information, my guess would be that for some reason NAT isn't enabled. But now that I think about it, I don't remember ever seeing a setting in any of the small home routers that lets you enable/disable NAT.

yay! i knew that would squeeze a reply out of you lot thank you so much...

right, NAT huh? i've got some settings about NAT here, so it needs to be enabled right? done.
while waiting for a reply i've also found another problem-

from your reply, i take it that the 'dhcp client' needs to be enabled, well i've enabled that.
then in my modem properties (normal modem im using to connect to the net) it says the 'type' and 'encapsulation' is PPPOA and VCMUX respectfully.
so, i go to the router settings and change the 'encapsulation' to 'VCMUX PPPOA' , with that done, i save and reboot the router.

when i go back to the settings page, the DHCP client automatically changes back to 'disabled'. i have no idea why, i enabled it again, rebooted, and it did the exact same thing.

any suggestions?

[note] i tried another encapsulation type and the dhcp client stayed enabled

yay! i knew that would squeeze a reply out of you lot thank you so much...

right, NAT huh? i've got some settings about NAT here, so it needs to be enabled right? done.
while waiting for a reply i've also found another problem-

from your reply, i take it that the 'dhcp client' needs to be enabled, well i've enabled that.
then in my modem properties (normal modem im using to connect to the net) it says the 'type' and 'encapsulation' is PPPOA and VCMUX respectfully.
so, i go to the router settings and change the 'encapsulation' to 'VCMUX PPPOA' , with that done, i save and reboot the router.

when i go back to the settings page, the DHCP client automatically changes back to 'disabled'. i have no idea why, i enabled it again, rebooted, and it did the exact same thing.

any suggestions?

[note] i tried another encapsulation type and the dhcp client stayed enabled

Please just edit your posts from now on.

If the modem uses PPPoA (or PPPoE; most DSL providers use one or the other) you should set the same protocol type in the WAN/Internet settings on the router, making sure to enter your username and password in the appropriate PPP boxes. DHCP is a different protocol, and as such, is not used when connecting to PPPoA or PPPoE modems.

Did you buy a new router, or are we still working with the original router. If you've purchased a ne router, please post the exact make/model name.

All I can say is you are right, networking is a nightmare. can't set up my linksys as well, nothing nothing no help!

hi guys, i need all the help i can squeeze out of you great people... wireless networking is driving me insane...

ISP- Homecall (if anyone else is on homecall and have successfully set up a router PLEASE contact me)
-The main problem seems to be the fact that it uses a dynamic IP, (since all my friends just enters a static IP into their routers and it works )

Router
make- Sparkcom (the stupid company doesn't even have a website)
model- haven't got a clue, its no where to be found

My story
right, i have bought this router over a year ago...
didnt have a clue how to set it up so left it to one side...
then about half a year ago, a friend set up the router for me (took us over 5 hours) and it worked fine....
then about 2months ago, the router stopped working and havnt worked since....
had the friend assist me set it up, but had no luck...
googled this place and now praying that you guys out there could lend me a hand.... :cheesy:

i am a complete noob to wireless networking, and all i can say is that it does not work...
the main problem seems to lie in the WAN settings, since i CANNOT connect to the internet at all through the modem router...

Here is a print screen of the Wan Configuation page
http://filenuke.com/yourfiles//1142039974.PNG

The only thing i know for certain is that the username and password is definately correct, everything else makes no sense to me....

could someone tell me where to find the relavant information from and where they should go?

thank you in advance.... wireles networking has been a nightmare to me....

-penguinboi
aka, Derek

If the modem uses PPPoA (or PPPoE; most DSL providers use one or the other) you should set the same protocol type in the WAN/Internet settings on the router, making sure to enter your username and password in the appropriate PPP boxes. DHCP is a different protocol, and as such, is not used when connecting to PPPoA or PPPoE modems.

Did you buy a new router, or are we still working with the original router. If you've purchased a ne router, please post the exact make/model name.

when i connected up to homecall, i was only given a usb modem.
now i have bought a wireless router and im trying to hook it up to the broadband.

the router is made by sparkcom, and it doesn't seem to state a model number or name. (the company doesn't even have a website)

this is whats confusing me so much. i've heard that to connect up to a dynamic IP connection i need to enable the dhcp client, yet, under the modem properties it states that it is pppoa, meaning i can either follow the modem and use pppoa without the dhcp client or use something else and enable the dhcp client.

When you are facing problems like this, it is very helpful if you start with the simplest setup and build up from there. That way, you can more readily find out where your problem is.

I recommend taking the router completely out of the loop for the time being. Connect your computer directly to the modem, use the disk that your ISP sent you with the modem to setup the connection software, and connect to the internet that way. Let us know if you are able to connect using that setup.

this is whats confusing me so much. i've heard that to connect up to a dynamic IP connection i need to enable the dhcp client, yet, under the modem properties it states that it is pppoa, meaning i can either follow the modem and use pppoa without the dhcp client or use something else and enable the dhcp client.

Yes- the different terminologies and protocols can (understandably) cause confusion. One thing to keep in mind here is that use of dynamic IP assignment by your ISP does not automatically mean that DHCP is the protocol used to facilitate those IP assignments; IP addresses assigned by PPPoE and PPPoA can be (and in fact usually are) dynamic addresses.

when i connected up to homecall, i was only given a usb modem.

That does beg the question of how you are then able to connect that modem to the router. Can you give us the details on that please?

Although I understand that you eventually want to connect wirelessly, I second chrisbliss18's suggestion of wiring the computer directly to the modem as a first step. Not only will doing so verify whether or not you can achieve a basic connection, but the connection information gleaned from the ISP's supplied setup/connection software could provide configuration information which could be helpful to us in terms of configuring the router.

yes, that is what im doing at the minute. I am able to connect to the internet etc. via the modem included and the software i got from the ISP.

The router is an ADSL modem router, so i will not need to connect the modem to the router (right?), and i am wanting to connect wirelessly in the end, but for the time being i connect the router through one of the ethernet ports.

The router is an ADSL modem router, so i will not need to connect the modem to the router (right?), and i am wanting to connect wirelessly in the end, but for the time being i connect the router through one of the ethernet ports.

I believe that would be correct but without knowing more about the exact model of the router it's hard to say. The config options in the screenshot you gave makes me think your wireless router does it all; ADSL modem, LAN gateway/switch and wireless access point.

There are generally two types of DSL you can get...ADSL (Asynchronous) and SDSL (Synchronous). Synchronous essentially means the connection is "always on" and Async simply means that the connection must be initiated in some fashion before you can get to the Internet...the software you installed on your pc may be doing this for you or the old USB DSL modem itself. I am much better with cable modem standards so if anyone wants to correct me about DSL stuff, please do!

The gist of what I'm getting at with this is that you need to set up the router so that it takes care of initiating ADSL connectivity for you and then move on to the wireless LAN issue. Yes - you are right to go through ethernet until you can get connectivity to the internet through the wireless ADSL modem/router. Before you do anything else you should call the provider and verify that you are able to simply plug in a new DSL modem because some providers require your modem to be provisioned before it will be able to receive a dynamic address. At this point I would also like to see the "ADSL Configuration" screen on the router. Why haven't you called the ISP when you're wired into the wireless router to have them help you choose the right settings for the ADSL to get an address dynamically from their system? We could try to look the info up for you but you could help us greatly by finding out a few things from the provider:

Does your ISP require all new devices to be provisioned in their network before they can receive a dynamic address?

Does your computer have to initiate the ADSL connection in order to get online by using some software that the provider gave you or does the USB ADSL modem currently take care of that for you? They should know! They should also be able to tell you which settings you need in the "ADSL Configuration" on the wireless router to be compatible with their network.

If the modem initiates connectivity then what are the right settings for your new modem/router to be able to do it?

in the past, i have actually rang up the ISP once upon a time...
but all they did was give me a "sorry, we don't offer support for your wireless router" comment, but i'll try again tomorrow morning.

erm, from what i know at the minute, the router should be fully compatible with the ISP as i and a friend have setted this up once upon a time, (used trial and error)

and yes, when connecting to the internet via modem, i need to run a program to make it connect.

I will update tomorrow with the result from the ISP and the ADSL configuation page.
-Derek

-btw, Thank you soo much for your help, i really appreciate it

Oh yea...when you call the ISP it's all about how YOU present the problem to them. If you call up saying you need help setting up your wireless network of course they're gonna blow you off. Get help setting up your new DSL MODEM w/gateway instead if you catch my drift! If you leave that bit of info out, since WE can help you with the wireless, then they should at least be able to have you read off the ADSL config settings and help you get it right. Most providers will at least help you to set up your modem and router - they just won't do stuff like wireless so the second they hear "wireless router" they're response will always be "we don't support that".

Once you get the right ADSL config settings it's just a matter of figuring out how to initiate that dialer connection thing from your PC while connected to the router...as I said before a lot of routers have that capability built in but if not then there should be a way to initiate the ADSL connectivity from your PC while connected to the router. Currently you do this from your PC over the USB connection to that ADSL modem...they should be able to tell you how to do this over ethernet from your LAN. This all depends on your provider...those guys should be able to assist you with questions on how to make that part work - don't let them push you around, you know? If they require some stupid dialer thing to make the connection then they should help you set it up to work through your router. Just leave the wireless out of it and you're not out of the realm of what they should be supporting. I can tell you from being on the other end of these kinds of phone calls that, unfortunately, most support people are just trying to get you off the phone!

There are generally two types of DSL you can get...ADSL (Asynchronous) and SDSL (Synchronous). Synchronous essentially means the connection is "always on" and Async simply means that the connection must be initiated in some fashion before you can get to the Internet...the software you installed on your pc may be doing this for you or the old USB DSL modem itself. I am much better with cable modem standards so if anyone wants to correct me about DSL stuff, please do!

Actually, the major difference between the two types of DSL is that with SDSL, the upload and download speeds are identical (Symetric), but with ADSL the maximum download speed is greater than the max upload speed (Asymetric). SDSL also demands the use of a dedicated line, whereas ADSL can be "piggybacked" on top of the existing line which carries your telephone service.
In terms of the "always on" characteristic of a broadband connection, it could probably be (and probably has been) argued that neither PPPoE or PPPoA are truly always on connections because both protocols, being based on the PPP technology used for dial-up modems, do require that a session connection request be initiated at the user's end (either via software on the client computer or by the router, if a router is used).

Actually, the major difference between the two types of DSL is that with SDSL, the upload and download speeds are identical (Symetric), but with ADSL the maximum download speed is greater than the max upload speed (Asymetric). SDSL also demands the use of a dedicated line, whereas ADSL can be "piggybacked" on top of the existing line which carries your telephone service.
In terms of the "always on" characteristic of a broadband connection, it could probably be (and probably has been) argued that neither PPPoE or PPPoA are truly always on connections because both protocols, being based on the PPP technology used for dial-up modems, do require that a session connection request be initiated at the user's end (either via software on the client computer or by the router, if a router is used).

Thanks DMR - sync async is just the connection speeds and doesn't have to do with how the connection is initiated...sorry bout that!

damn i hate call centres, rang up the last few days, and i was either
put on hold for an hour then cut off...
or i get the 'oh, the guy your looking for is off today'...

but i'll keep trying,
what exactly am i asking for here?

• 'how to set up my new modem' -the settings under the WAN configuation page?
  • anything else?

and also, heres the adsl settings page-
http://filenuke.com/yourfiles//1143980181.PNG

EDIT: heres some extra information that may be of some use-
http://filenuke.com/yourfiles//1143980824.PNG

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.