Hello all i am working on a web server right now. I can normally type in my ip address at my house and it will connect to my server if my firewall is shut off. I have a router, with and internal and external ip. I'm trying to get my server connecting to the outside world. when i go to my library and type in my internal ip address it actually connects, which was a surprise, but at least it seems to be working. When i try to use my external ip address, it will not connect.My firewalls will be all closed when im doing this. What could be the problem i have to figure this out .

thanks all people.

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

when i go to my library and type in my internal ip address it actually connects, which was a surprise, but at least it seems to be working. When i try to use my external ip address, it will not connect.

This part of your description does not make sense. I suspect that you mean it the other way around. If you are at your public library, there is no way that you can connect to a private IP address within your LAN directly. You would have to connect to your public IP address. Aside from connecting to your public IP address, to access your server on the internal network, you would have to add a port forwarding rule on your internet router. Since this is a web server, you need to port forward on port 80 to your internal private IP.

I can never get port forwarding working no matter what i do, for some reason . so im not using my router anymore, just the external ip hooked up to my comp and in my server. When i run it, i can connect to my external ip address from my browser but not from another computer at another location,even with all firewalls turned off. What else could be wrong eveyrone tells me im doing the right thing, but it still wont work.

IF you have an IP on that server... log on to that server and go to http://www.canyouseeme.org That site will verify your IP that the public would see. Then type in port 80 into the field and test. 80 is used for web traffic. that site will test your port and let you know if it is open or closed. If it is open, then your settings are correct.

do you need to port forward without a router, because when im only hooked into my modem it says it cant see me?

So, if you are not using a router, your computer is directly connected to the internet (by way of DSL modem or other connection I assume). In this case, no port forwarding is needed since you have fully exposed your server to the internet. By the way, this really isnt such a good idea, even with your Windows firewall enabled. If you install something or make a change, or mistake in a config, you can expose parts of your OS directly to the internet. Behind a router with port forwarding, ONLY traffic on that port is forwarded to your server.

I would suggest you consider setting up your router, and taking the time to get comfortable with port forwarding.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.