Good Morning All, I am looking to develope a new product and I am needing software, hardware and an app developed. I have no idea where to start and I thought I would reach out for advice.

Reverend Jim commented: Lazy. -3

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

Howie Mandel in his early stand-up comedy days.

1. OK. Now we're going to do some improv.
  2. Give me an occupation.
  3. Give me a place.
  4. Give me a location.
  5. Now give me some funy things to say.

If you want help with something specific then post a specific question. Don't ask us to do all the work for you.

He’s not asking for an app to be written for him or for us to do all the work. He has an idea and wants some advice on what next steps could be.

I’m on my phone so I’ll follow up with you a bit later. In the meantime, letting us know your level of experience in programming would be helpful to helping me to fine tune a response for you.

To me that's team building. You need people to join your endeavor that have background in those areas or a "product manager" that sources what you need. If you go it alone, you may take longer as you learn how to develop products. Teams make it possible to reduce that time. And if you don't want to be a product manager then you get one of those too.

Hiring a team from the beginning is a horrible and excruciating expensive business strategy. First find product-market fit. This means creating a minimally viable product and proving that there is interest in using it. If you don’t have the skills to go it alone, outsource to a small dev team or consulting firm. But, please, do not hire a team. Your business is too immature to know exactly what aspects will be most time consuming, the difficulty level of each component, who the first hire should be, or even what skills to look for. Otherwise you may find yourself hiring a bookkeeper only to find out months later that invoicing and accounts receivable only takes an hour a week.

To add to my reply about a team. There are teams that you don't hire. Look here and DANIWEB has folk that team up to help out.

The story of software apps and games where there is a team that is unpaid repeats quite often.

As to myself, I've been on both types of development and can share my preference for a solid team. Doesn't matter if they are paid at first or not, it's the people and skills of the team that can really make it work.

That said, I've also seen the lone developer struggle, not add anyone to their team and years later still struggling.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.