I have a wired router provided by my Wireless Provider, so can't remove it from the mix. I then have a Linksys wireless router I would like to add to the network to make my laptop portable around the house.

I have been able to make it work by following instructions found in other threads. That is, turn DHCP off on the wireless router and wired into one of the Lan ports. The only way I could make this work though was to use a crossover cable and saw no mention of this need in the other threads?

When I turned off DHCP I also assigned a static IP address to the wireless router in the range of the wired router but now I can't get into the wireless router to configure WEP for the wireless connections.

My laptop does work wirelessly now and is dynamically assigned IP from the wired router but wondered if WEP is even possible in this configuration?

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Disregard the earlier post. I have resolved all my issues, removed a switch from the mix which was inverting the connection for the wireless router so no longer need the crossover cable and am now able to configure the router again.

Disregard the earlier post. I have resolved all my issues, removed a switch from the mix which was inverting the connection for the wireless router so no longer need the crossover cable and am now able to configure the router again.

Hey there...I will be adding a wireless firewall/router to my network in the near future and know that I can benefit from some additional detail about what you did to get it to work, can you post some detail for us here...please!!!! Anything woudlbe a help...CB.

I'm traveling this week and can't remember exactly all the cabling particulars. Believe I removed the need for any crossover cables.

Do remember that I connected between the local ethernet ports and did not use the wan connection on the second router and turned off DHCP on the second router. Had to assign IP to the second router in the range of the first router. This made the second router basically a switch and allowed sharing between all the devices connected to both routers. By the way the reason for adding the second router was to provide wireless access for my laptop.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.