Hey all. Im a bit thick when it comes to networking, so here I am. There are 2 computers in the house. We currently have dial-up Internet access but soon to get a 512 Broadband service connected. At the moment, both computers use the Internet by running a standard phone cable from the point in the wall to the modems of the computers. My computer is upstairs of the house, and the other downstairs. When we get connected to the broadband, what options are there to access the service on both computers.

Thanks in advance

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Hey all. Im a bit thick when it comes to networking, so here I am. There are 2 computers in the house. We currently have dial-up Internet access but soon to get a 512 Broadband service connected. At the moment, both computers use the Internet by running a standard phone cable from the point in the wall to the modems of the computers. My computer is upstairs of the house, and the other downstairs. When we get connected to the broadband, what options are there to access the service on both computers.

Thanks in advance

Read up: http://www.tomsnetworking.com/Sections-article62-page1.php

J_

Thanks for the link, it contains loads of info. But, it's a bit excesive for what I need. It's a small house, so wired networking using Ethernet cables isnt really needed. I think wireless would work fine, I'm just not sure what equipment I need for it. I was hoping I could just do the same as what I'm doing at the moment with dial-up, but with a broadband modem instead. I take it this can't be done?

Scratchy,

Not really. You're going to get broadband. I'm guessing either DSL or Cable, in either case you'll have one modem. The modem will have one Ethernet cable (internet cable) output. You can connect one computer to this modem, or you could connect a router, which is what you'll need to provide Internet access to more than one computer. As the article states, you can use a wired or wireless router. In either case, to connect your computers to the router you'll need one network interface card (NIC) for each computer. There are wireless and wired NICs available.

Wireles Network Diagram:
[IMG]http://www.oreillynet.com/wireless/2003/03/21/graphics/image007.jpg[/IMG]
J_

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.