:D our co. has a new dell latitude d620 that we purchased to use for our testing veh's. it hooks on to a vcm. when we have to do a update, we have to connect the eithernet cable from the laptop to the vcm & go into connection properties & change the ip add. from auto to a specific ip add. to do this. i was trying to do a additional update so the vcm can be hooked up to our existing desktop to do updates from there. i accidently plugged our usb plug into the laptop when it was suppost to plug into our existing pc & the wizard poped up & it assigned a new ip ad. to the eithernet port. now i cannot reset the ip add. so the vcm can communicate w/ the laptop. tried going in to bridge properties & change it & it says the ip add. is hiden or is not in the computer. basically i need to figure out how delete the ip add. from the usb port & reset the ip add. back to my eithernet port. then when i'm finished updating i will be able to connect to the internet. this laptop has both internal mini lan card & internal wireless. i know this confusing but i explaned it the best i could. need help bad so i can get this thing going again. it works fine hooking to a veh. & testing except dell does not support this model only the d610. all software loaded good. & is up & running except for this small problem. it updated the first part of the updates to the vcm, but making this 2nd mistake messed it up. i want to reinstall the existing ip address back to the eithernet port not the usb port.::rolleyes:

let me see if i can explain it a little better. the ip address that was assigned to usb port was somehow set at the eithernet port. cause i can't set the ip address for the vcm to recognize to donload the update. it shows no connection. this is done offline only done from the laptop to the vcm. in order for me to down load using the usb ports is i have to download this remaining file so i can connect the vcm to our desktop computer in our computre room. this is done at our ford site only. it wiil not let me save the ip address i need to communicate between the laptop to the vcm. someone told me to try doing a system restore to a earlier time. then when i'm through doing that i can set the ip back to its original state. to automatically connect.

:rolleyes: well i got that problem solved, i know it was kinda confusing.:confused: but another problem has occured. the wireless shows connected & so does the lan. but cannot connect. in network connections, i go to bridge connection & click on tcp/ip internet protocol properties & it shows a ip add.. i can't seem to get rid of that ip add. & set it to obtain a ip add. automatically. when i set it to that & close it out & try to connect it won't. i go back into tcp/ip internet protocol properties the ip add is still selected. i was told that some kind of software could be causing this. is there a way to get rid of this ip add. so it won't keep coming back up? need this fixed ASAP!!!!. i cnnot go online to ford link to do my updates w/out this corrected. there has to be some advance settings that would correct this. all this laptop is used for is testing vehs. w/ usb capibilities. all kinds of hardware attaches to it to test them. its kinda like the old wds but just faster. need help bad. :cry:

well since no one wanted to help me, i figured it out for myself just reboot after resetting ip configurations. DUH!! gosh i'm talking to myself!!

well since no one wanted to help me, i figured it out for myself just reboot after resetting ip configurations. DUH!! gosh i'm talking to myself!!

Part of the problem is that you squished all your text into one line -- very hard to read.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.