A little while ago my dad mentioned a person in their car parked in our neighborhood. I figured that the guy was wardriving, and what with all the unsecure wireless networks around here I decided to enable wpa with a pre-shared key. Ever since I have been experiencing network problems. My old pc will get disconnected 1 time every half hour or more. My laptop seems better, but I have been having several problems trying to connect to the network, and it usually takes 10 minutes or so till I get a connection that works. Did I setup the router wrong or something? Is tehre a less problematic way for keeping any idiot with a wifi enabled laptop out of my network?

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Is tehre a less problematic way for keeping any idiot with a wifi enabled laptop out of my network?

Although I hate to say it, I'm not too familiar with WEP encryption. However, I have seen a number of problems involved with it.

The other point I would like to add is that I've seen other, network encryption programs out there besides WEP. I would do alittle research and check it out if I were you.

Sorry I couldn't help more. ;)

Thanks.

which is the less secure one, WEP or WPA?
Im using WEP preshared key i get a good speed

Wpa is more secure than wep by my opinion. You might want to try to set your own key instead of using a preshared one. I allways set my own key because i dont know if there is a list of preshared router keys somewhere on the internet. Linksys routers allow you to set a key by entering a "passphrase" which then it hashes and creates your key. I allways use a 24 chrachter alphanumeric "passphrase" for added security.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.