I have a ADSL router with a static ip connected to a switch which is serving 48 PC's. The pc are configured to use DHCP from the router.. Some times some of the pc's show limited or no connectivity. I earlier thought that it might be a problem with the lan catd or the switch but when i gave static IP's to the lan cards it was able to comunnicate with the network properly.. but if i do that i cannot access the Internet. I think it has some thing to do with the router. We use utstar ADSL Router provide by the service provider.

Pls advice

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

Limited or no connectivity usually occurs when your DHCP server is down on a network. It could be your Internet service provider's server, your personal router, or your DHCP provider. Check to see if you have an IP address when it's in limited mode. It works when you give it a static ip because there is no DHCP server and no ip gets renewed. My guess is your router can't handle all those connections and bandwidth.

If i was you, with 48 connections... i'd go ahead buy a decent router and set one of those pc's as a server using windows 2003 and that way your other computers will connect to that computer to get their IP info and it won't keep dropping. There are many advantages of windows server 2003.

Or if you really wanted to, you could set all 48 computers their own static ip. the gatway address would be your router ip and the dns ip would also be the routers ip. (This would only help if the problem was due to dhcp errors on the router. If its because the router is overloaded it will still drop connection)

Can u suggest me some good router... I was thinking to go in for dlink 502T router

Thanks and regards

Limited or no connectivity usually occurs when your DHCP server is down on a network. It could be your Internet service provider's server, your personal router, or your DHCP provider. Check to see if you have an IP address when it's in limited mode. It works when you give it a static ip because there is no DHCP server and no ip gets renewed. My guess is your router can't handle all those connections and bandwidth.

If i was you, with 48 connections... i'd go ahead buy a decent router and set one of those pc's as a server using windows 2003 and that way your other computers will connect to that computer to get their IP info and it won't keep dropping. There are many advantages of windows server 2003.

Or if you really wanted to, you could set all 48 computers their own static ip. the gatway address would be your router ip and the dns ip would also be the routers ip. (This would only help if the problem was due to dhcp errors on the router. If its because the router is overloaded it will still drop connection)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.