I have a static IP address via DSL that runs through a SpeedStream DSL modem and into my brand-new NetGear WNR854T RangeMax Next Gigabit Edition.

I'm having connection problems that only exist when I'm behind the NetGear WNR854T.

Most of my connections seem to work perfectly; For example, Internet browsing (via Safari, OS X 10.4.9) work fine. Most of my sending of email via my Microsoft Entourage to my Microsoft Exchange Server at work seems to get through fine.

HOWEVER -- sometimes when I try to send an email beyond a specific size -- which is quite small -- maybe 100K bytes -- I get an error back "-3253". This, I believe, is error ECONNRESET. This indicates Microsoft Entourage is having problems communicating with the Microsoft Exchange Server.

According to our Microsoft Exchange expert, no specific ports are required to be opened or forwarded.

When the computer is connected at another Internet location -- not behind the NetGear router -- the error does not occur.

Another symptom of this problem is trying to fill out forms on a web site, https://caqh.geoaccess.com/oas/. Browsing pages on this site works, but when the site attempts to send back secure information, the Safari browser just hangs up waiting for a response. Eventually, Safari spits out an error message saying connection to the server was lost.

According to the caqh.com help desk, no special ports need to be open.

This problem is exhibited on ALL Macintoshes (Intel and PowerPC) that are behind this NetGear router.

I took a laptop exhibiting this problem and plugged it into another location's Internet connection -- not behind this router -- and there was absolutely no problem with caqh.com, or sending email via Entourage/Exchange.

This leads me to believe this may be a bug either in the setup of Port Triggering, or perhaps a NetGear firmware bug?

I have done no special Port Triggering setup. But Port triggering is NOT disabled. Port Triggering timeout is 30 minutes. No services are defined.

The firmware version is 1.4.09NA.

Direct connections through the SpeedStream, or via another router (such as the Apple Airport Express) also do not exhibit these issues.

The Mac OS X firewall has been turned off.

Anyone have any clues about this sort of problem?

SMGeek

I have found the problem with the https web connection problem -- for some reason I needed to change the MTU on my NetGear router to 1400 (down from 1492). I'm not sure exactly why.

That change, however, did NOT correct the Microsoft Exchange Server / Entourage bug.

Stephen

I have a static IP address via DSL that runs through a SpeedStream DSL modem and into my brand-new NetGear WNR854T RangeMax Next Gigabit Edition.

I'm having connection problems that only exist when I'm behind the NetGear WNR854T.
-----------
I have WGR614V6 netgrear router. I just upgraded the firmware yesterday, and today i could not access https sites that required a login, like my.yahoo.com, my bank...
So I read your post, changed my MTU from 1500 to 1400 and it worked.
oh, I'm running SUSE 10.2 not windows, but it didn't work on my XP box either.
thanks for the tip, and I hope this helps someone else!!!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.