Hello all. My DUN connection to an AS/400 system is disabling the functionality of the LAN. It's a peer to peer environment running Win98 on all 'clients' and Win2K Server on the 'server' using only TCP/IP, and there is no internet connection to the LAN. All the machines see each other without a problem until one of the machines establishes a DUN connection to an AS/400 system. At that point, that machine can no longer see any of the others on the LAN, and none of the others can see it. All the machines have static IP addresses. I have attempted to unbind TCP/IP -> Dialup Adapter from File and Print Sharing, but that doesn't do any good. NetBEUI is not an option in the LAN, it needs to be TCP/IP in order to use the program the LAN is intended for. Is there any way to access the LAN resources as well as have the DUN connection to the AS/400 established at the same time? Any help on this is greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

You might try disabling or removing "Client for Microsoft Networks" from the dialup connections. They shouldn't need it going in to an AS400 system. The windows client browser can only bind to one network at a time.

You might try disabling or removing "Client for Microsoft Networks" from the dialup connections. They shouldn't need it going in to an AS400 system. The windows client browser can only bind to one network at a time.

Hmm.. one thing I have already attempted is to remove the binding for Client for Microsoft Networks from TCP/IP -> Dial-Up Adapter, which resulted in not being able to logon to the dialup connection... =(

Thank you all anyway, but I figured out what the problem was. In the properties of the DUN connectoid, under the 'Server Types' tab and 'TCP/IP Settings' button there is an option saying 'Use default gateway on remote network' that is checked by default. This needed to be unchecked. Now a connection can be established to the AS/400 system without impacting the functionality of the LAN. Hope this helps anyone with a similar problem.

Hmm.. one thing I have already attempted is to remove the binding for Client for Microsoft Networks from TCP/IP -> Dial-Up Adapter, which resulted in not being able to logon to the dialup connection... =(

Interesting, but then I know next to nothing about the AS/400 system. Thanks for letting us know how you fixed it.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.