Hello I have a quick question about Networking a Printer via USB. I've done this before however the computer has to remain on in order for anyone else to print from another computer. Is there any possible way to set it up where the computer doesn't have to be on? If so how is this possible? If this isn't possible and I need a networking port for the printer to connect a router. Is there anyway how I can go out and purchase and adapter of some sort since the printer does not have a networking port?

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

well, you can get special printer wireless routers, which enable anybody on your wireless network to print from that printer. they cost around £60 ($120)ish depending where u look.
If you don't have wireless, then most modern printers these days have a networking port, so you can use the standard Ethernet cables to run to and from a router.

> If you don't have wireless, then most modern printers these days have a networking port, so you can use the standard Ethernet cables to run to and from a router.

he just said his printer doesn't have a nic.
i'd look at some wireless print servers, or you might as well buy an old computer, install linux, and make that your print server. it'll be cheaper and it'll be "fun" to setup.

> If you don't have wireless, then most modern printers these days have a networking port, so you can use the standard Ethernet cables to run to and from a router.

he just said his printer doesn't have a nic.
i'd look at some wireless print servers, or you might as well buy an old computer, install linux, and make that your print server. it'll be cheaper and it'll be "fun" to setup.

Thanks for the advice. As I read that the more I thought about getting a wireless printer server. But then I remembered I have an old computer that I'm still transferring stuff from to Vista. I figured the best way to set up the print server is through that computer by putting in an additional hard drive with the other one and install Linux. I've got 3 Ubuntu disks so I figured that would be the best choice. The additional hard drive is for additional space as I might set it up to be both a printer server and media server. Is this a good idea or bad idea? And is Ubuntu a good choice for what I'm doing for the printer server at least? I have the most experience with Ubuntu and I already have the disk.

ubuntu is the way to go. but if you have windows on the old computer, maybe it wouldn't be such a bad idea lo leave it, but do what you want.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.