My computer stopped working as in it would not get past POST. Before that, I was just surfing the web as usual, then it froze and just reset itself getting stuck on the DRAM or CPU test by the led staying lit. I just stopped messing with it and last night I decided to take it all apart and re-wire the power supply and put the RAM in different slots. Still didn't get past the POST, but this time it only got stuck on the DRAM. So I hit the memOK button, still no dice. I took out the RAM and switched slots again, the hit the memOK button and voila! Everything booted up and acted normal. It has booted up multiple times now and I am wondering what the heck happened. Any thoughts?

• Asus M4A89GTD Pro/USB 3.0 motherboard
  • OCZ 1000Watt Fully Modular PSU
  • Corsair Vengence 1600 MHZ 8 GB RAM
  • Nvidia GeForce 250 GTS
  • AMD Phenom II 1100T x6 Processor

Thanks!

Contributors
Views
2 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by rubberman

You might want to verify that all the RAM is being used. Some modern motherboards will disable a stick of RAM that is failing. Usually, it will require that the stick in slot 0 (the first slot) is healthy, and map out others if necessary. So, it is possible that swapping the RAM SIMMs helped.

This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.