hopefully any of the experts out there could help clear my suspicion...the 2 IF statements in my .bat file seem logiclly correct but it deosn't seem to work as I expected :

1) IF /I %varX% NEQ %varY%
2) IF NOT %varX%==%varY%

whereby the %varX% and %varY% are actually numeric digits extracted from a file (but numeric digits or not shouldn't matter as the /I should be taking care of it so the least case 1 should work...too bad it doesn't also :cry: )

:sad: looks so simple yet so complicated to code :mad: HELP :eek:

13 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by Kimmi

This might show my ignorance to your situation, but what language are you programming in? I'm sure it might help somebody help you out here.

Have you tried:

IF NOT "%varX%" == "%varY%"

Hiya, yeah, i h've tried it too but doesn't seem to work either....i suspect it's unable to take care of the condition if say %varX% is blank. Cos' my .bat file is actually in this sequence :

FIND "Counter" d:\local.dat > d:\read.txt
FOR /F "tokens=3* delims=" %%i in (d:\read.txt) do set varX=%%i
IF NOT "%varX%" == "%varY%" echo Diff

whereby the IF statement doesn't work only when the %varX% is found to be blank due to the word "Counter" is not exist in d:\local.dat file. How can I handle this situation then? :o

This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.