I am doing B.Tech in computer science and I am in the 1st year (I have almost completed 1st year)

I want to learn a language in the forthcoming summer break (2 months) between the first year and second year, and am quite confused if I should go for C++ or Java.
I have no previous experience of C++ (I did not have comp sci in school), but I have studied C in the first year.
I have asked a few people and most of them tell me that trying to learn java is no good if I already dont know C++, because then I will not know what the concept of "classes" is, and therefore will not be able to understand Java properly.

In a nutshell, my questions are-
1. Should I learn Java or C++ ?
2. Should I join a proper institute or buy books and do java/c++ at home??

I want to learn java, but im hesitant because i dont know if i'll be able to learn it properly if i already dont know C++.....
Any advice would be appreciated, thanks in advance....

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

I have asked a few people and most of them tell me that trying to learn java is no good if I already dont know C++, because then I will not know what the concept of "classes" is, and therefore will not be able to understand Java properly.

They're full of shit. By that logic, trying to learn C++ is also no good because you won't know what the concept of "classes" is. You have to learn it somewhere. :icon_rolleyes:

>1. Should I learn Java or C++ ?
It's your call. Both are based on C. Java is a simpler language, but C++ may give you a better grounding in the lower level aspects of programming. Pick the one you're more comfortable with and/or see yourself using more often. Naturally this implies trying both. Maybe give each language a solid week or two to get a basic feel for how you like them.

>2. Should I join a proper institute or buy books and do java/c++ at home??
Programming is one of the fields where being self-taught is a good thing. Provided you hang around the right people and use the right resources, you can learn more in a shorter time by yourself than in any programming course.

I Agree with Narue
about the people who said you should go with C++ because you will not understand classes very well in java is totally not true.
because classes is the implementation of object oriented paradigm and it has its own rules and concepts. java, c++ and other languages that supports object oriented paradigm are more like tools to implement your design so you have to study object oriented to have the right understating for classes.
for academical and learning purpose I would go to C++ because you need a solid ground and strong understanding in programing concepts and methodologies (which java will provide but in C++ more detailed).

about from where to learn books or institute it depends on the person, some people when they start with books they don't understand anything but when some one teaches them they just go creative and start understand by them self.
so what I suggest is if you are a beginner and you are learning from the scratch I would prefer to get the basics from some one because it is not important how much amount you learn in a short time, what it matters how good you understood the concepts and the subjects because based on it you will build your knowledge so you should have a good start and take your time in it, don't rush it because if you had a very good understanding and concept you will learn many many things in a very short time (like building create a very strong ground to build on it the floors many floors)

well this is what I think

regards

Thank you, both of you for your replies......

I have finally decided that Im going to learn Java on my own with my friends, through a book called "Hubbard Shield" (spelling may be different) and use the numerous tutorials on the internet as references...

if you learn java, you can create some commercial applications in your near future and make some money. At least you can create some .jsp web applications or some desktop applications. It will be easier to find a job and become useful. what kind of applications are you going to develop if you learn c++. to do something with c++ you have to master it, there is no gray area in c++ development.

commented: I see you have a new glamour shot. +1

>to do something with c++ you have to master it,
>there is no gray area in c++ development.
That's pure BS. Very few, if any, C++ programmers have "mastered" C++. The biggest weakness of C++ when comparing with Java is Java's extensive standard library which spans everything from sockets and graphics to containers and algorithms.

The biggest weakness of Java is the hype. Java is promoted as being "easy!" and "beginner-friendly!". The result is often beginner code that's slow and poorly designed.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.