Hello All,

I am confused between MIS, SE and CS courses at graduate level (Masters)

I know that they are fundamentally different and have absolutely
different purpose.

My dilemma is which one should I choose?
I have done my undergraduation in Information Technology (India) and currently working in a software firm as a .Net developer.

I dunno should I take up specialized courses or stick with computer science.

My personal inclination is towards software design and architecture.

Can some one help me in selecting course which shall prove beneficial to me in long term?

thanks a lot in advance.

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

OK.. Lemme try and answer this as swiftly as possible..

SE is strictly software development.. thats all you do.. is maximize your time creating or improving software.

MIS == VERRRYYYY broad scope.. can go from anywhere from software dev... helpdesk.. director of projects.. very very wide range.. so if your unsure then this is probably the best spot for you..

Now CS is a bit different as it is the STUDY of technologies.. this is also a good choice if your unsure because it covers all basis.. but CS is probably better for a sales rep .. keeping up on theory's and technology is always a + for a sales rep.

These are just my opinions... for example..

I work for a MFG Company that makes nearly 65M a year.. and here is my job title(no I am not kiding)

Systems Administrator/Data Base Administrator/Software Development Leader/Security Analyst/Enterprise Messaging Manager

OK think I covered evberything there?

Now what did I take in college?

Drumroll....... NONE... finsihed a single semseter in Brooklyn NY.. then Moved to New Jersey and started my carreer... walked into Testing centers and passed test..

A+/CCNA/MCP/Network+ (the useless list goes on and on)

I currently use these as toilet paper in the bathroom..

I guess what I am saying is.. expierence > school

Just the facts.. so i would get out there and start finding out what it is you like to do..

I encourage others to stay in school no question.. but I am just saying don't think to hard about it because you can land in an all-in-one position such as myself where focussing on single subject matter means nothing..

you dig?

Thanks techniner.

Let me consolidate your advice:

• I should take SE if I am looking at a career in software dev and project management.
  • I should take MIS if I am looking at a gamut of things like software dev, project management, business modeling, consultation, etc.
  • I should take CS if I want to stick with software dev only.

Considering my background-undergrad in CS and just two yrs workX in software dev, will a course in MIS give me actual insight into how software processes and development is carried out in large projects? Because, if I don’t get this straight first how will I manage these things in future?

I have ruled out CS for the moment. But I am still confused between MIS / SE.
Will my job profile after doing MIS allow me to code / design software projects? Because, I think it’s really important to understand things happening under the hood before you actually start managing these things and making crucial decisions.

Any insight into this issue would be of great help.

Thanks.

Thanks techniner.

Let me consolidate your advice:

• I should take SE if I am looking at a career in software dev and project management.
  • I should take MIS if I am looking at a gamut of things like software dev, project management, business modeling, consultation, etc.
  • I should take CS if I want to stick with software dev only.

Considering my background-undergrad in CS and just two yrs workX in software dev, will a course in MIS give me actual insight into how software processes and development is carried out in large projects? Because, if I don’t get this straight first how will I manage these things in future?

I have ruled out CS for the moment. But I am still confused between MIS / SE.
Will my job profile after doing MIS allow me to code / design software projects? Because, I think it’s really important to understand things happening under the hood before you actually start managing these things and making crucial decisions.

Any insight into this issue would be of great help.

Thanks.

In my professional opinion sounds like you want to be a part of Software Development.

Managing projects would be more MIS but it would give you training on project development etc etc.

CS is not for you.. just wide range that your not going to get enough knowledge in the SE field.

Its either all in on SE or you go the MIS route and get broad knowledge of them all.. but you WILL have SE knowledge as well.

In my professional opinion sounds like you want to be a part of Software Development.

Managing projects would be more MIS but it would give you training on project development etc etc.

CS is not for you.. just wide range that your not going to get enough knowledge in the SE field.

Its either all in on SE or you go the MIS route and get broad knowledge of them all.. but you WILL have SE knowledge as well.

Sorry .....for delay in replying.

So, MIS sounds better option if i looking at management side of software development.

Is it so, if i do MIS now ...i dont need a MBA degree to reach a management cadre in a company?? will MIS suffice for this requirement?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.