Hey you guys I have a question about binary representation. I was given two signed binary (SB) number and Im suppose to determine which has the largest magnitude. I get the problem and I dont want any help on it but Im not sure how to read this binary information. This is the actual question from the text:
"Which of the following two signed binary (SB) number has a larger magnitude? Assume the numbers are given in radix complement (RC) form. 1110 1110 & 0001 0011"

This is the first time I encounter a binary sequence that has a space in between. So my question is would this be the equivalent way to read these two signed binary numbers?

Is 1110 1110 = 11101110 ?
Is 0001 0011 = 00010011 ?

Just want to confirm with somebody if this is the correct way in reading these binary numbers, Thank you very much.

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Yes, you are reading them correctly. Sometimes you see binary numbers split like that because it makes it easier to convert them to hexadecimal (each 4 bits = 1 hex digit).

Yes, you are reading them correctly. Sometimes you see binary numbers split like that because it makes it easier to convert them to hexadecimal (each 4 bits = 1 hex digit).

Oh I see. Thank you very much.

Oh I see. Thank you very much.

Ohh yes, you are reading it correctly. I think it is true. I m not IT man but have much experience about math

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.