Hi,

I have this product in mind, which I plan to develop. The product have the following features:

1. The final product will be delivered in the form of a CD.
  2. It's auto execute
  3. User have to install the application into his/her pc, to use it. It can't be runned directly from the CD.
  4. The application runs on window, not a browser. However, the application can be converted into web-enabled application without much modification.
  5. The application includes a database of content, which can be updated via the internet. The database should reside in the user's computer.

I'm still considering for the perfect tool/language to use. At the moment, I'm thinking of using Flash and php. But php needs a web server like Apache to run. I don't want to make it a hassle for non-IT user to install it and to configure it.

How about Flash alone? Do you think it's a good idea. It can connect to a database right? I've used Flash before but never with connecting to a database.

Another thought is JAVA. I've used the language but not an expert in it. Whatever the tools/language , I'm willing to explore. But, I want to go for the best one that can meet the above five requirements.

I do really appreciate any recommendation. Thanks in advanced.

Another thought is JAVA. I've used the language but not an expert in it. Whatever the tools/language , I'm willing to explore. But, I want to go for the best one that can meet the above five requirements.

I could atleast tell you that Java is not the best language for this problem. I sense a dependency on the operating system and besides, for your application to execute from the CD, it will need to check for a JVM.

In my opinion, you should make use of VB .NET since it is easy for the developers and you could reuse much of the code for in ASP as well.

I don't know if Flash has something of that sort.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.