Hello all.
I have a moderate knowledge on how to create databases in Access but I am having a problem. I want to be able to improve the exams we write by tracking the questions which were answered wrongly to be able to improve the exam. Here is what I am looking to do:
1. Have a record of all questions answers INCORRECTLY for several exams.
2. Be able to calculate the number of people who got a particular answer WRONG in an exam and show it as a percentage of the total number of people who took that exam.
3. Show (print a report of) the total exam info as opposed to the individual questions. I don't want to have 1 answer per page.

I don't need to know the names of the candidates, so the primary key is the ID. We have 20 exams ranging from 20 to 180 questions.

I have only 1 input form. In this form, the Primary Key is generated, there is then be a combo box for the name of the exam (taken from the EXAM table), and I want the respective number of answers (check boxes) to show up depending on which exam it is (and this is where I am getting stuck).

Once the info has been input, I want to be able to run a report for all versions of the "Performance" bunch of exams, or target a specific exam: PERFORMANCE1.

I have deleted and restarted this thing soooo many times that I am now completely lost.:confused:

Any suggestions guys?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Dominic.

Hello all.
I have a moderate knowledge on how to create databases in Access but I am having a problem. I want to be able to improve the exams we write by tracking the questions which were answered wrongly to be able to improve the exam. Here is what I am looking to do:
1. Have a record of all questions answers INCORRECTLY for several exams.
2. Be able to calculate the number of people who got a particular answer WRONG in an exam and show it as a percentage of the total number of people who took that exam.
3. Show (print a report of) the total exam info as opposed to the individual questions. I don't want to have 1 answer per page.

I don't need to know the names of the candidates, so the primary key is the ID. We have 20 exams ranging from 20 to 180 questions.

I have only 1 input form. In this form, the Primary Key is generated, there is then be a combo box for the name of the exam (taken from the EXAM table), and I want the respective number of answers (check boxes) to show up depending on which exam it is (and this is where I am getting stuck).

Once the info has been input, I want to be able to run a report for all versions of the "Performance" bunch of exams, or target a specific exam: PERFORMANCE1.

I have deleted and restarted this thing soooo many times that I am now completely lost.:confused:

Any suggestions guys?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Dominic.

Can anyone help with this?

Hi
From what I can see you need two tables. One for exams and one for questions with a 1-many relationship.
Exam Table
ExamID(AutoNumber)
#ofExamTakers
ExamName

Questions Table
QuestionID (AutoNumber)
ExamID (foreign key) (with a one to many relationship)
#ofWrongAnswers
Question

The ExamName and Question field are just to help you keep track of what question of what exam you are looking at.
The form is created through the exam table with a subform for the question.
When creating the report group by ExamID.
This should get you exactly what you asked for.

If you are wanting to keep track over time it would take a couple more fields and another use of a foreign key in a subtable from the questions i.e. QuestionVersionID QuestionID #ofQuestionTakers and #wrongAnswers. You would of course take out the #ofExamTakers out of the ExamTable if you are recording the information by question. The reason not to record the information at the exam level for the number of question takers is because you would be revising each question and adding to or taking out questions according to the results.

Hope this helps
Richard

Thanks Taneval23. I will try that.
Dominic

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.