Hello,
I am currently doing a research at my university about the ways in which we can use multicore CPU to enhance graphics performance instead of putting all the load on the GPU, I am trying to work with both OpenGL and OpenMP and I am planning on using gDebugger to measure performance but I am stuck due the lack of information and papers about this subject so if anyone has any knowledge or any contribution or suggestion please do let me know.

Thanks.

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

Hello,
I am currently doing a research at my university about the ways in which we can use multicore CPU to enhance graphics performance instead of putting all the load on the GPU, I am trying to work with both OpenGL and OpenMP and I am planning on using gDebugger to measure performance but I am stuck due the lack of information and papers about this subject so if anyone has any knowledge or any contribution or suggestion please do let me know.

Thanks.

Why would you run graphics on the CPU, when the GPU is made for it, and builded upon multi thread architecture? - and how, will you be building like your own kernel or?

About using OpenMP among with OpenGL, then it's pretty much just writing everything into parallel loops, a good way to do this, could be to make a multi layered buffer, and instead of just swapping the buffer, after showing an "image", then you'll swap to the next image, in a buffer of like 10frames (you'll be able to achive higher frame rates by doing this, simply by swapping the buffer, when like the 2next images are ready in the buffer.), All you will need to then is really to multi thread the buffer filling display function, using OpenMP, with something like; "#pragma omp parallel for", another thing you could do is, OpenMP into the main display function, however you'll need to keep threads alive then, to avoid a lot of overhead. - but still, I would prefer using my GPU for the display :)

I am currently doing a research at my university about the ways in which we can use multicore CPU to enhance graphics performance instead of putting all the load on the GPU

Been tried already. Before vista/aero, windows handled the drawing of all windows using GDI so they were rendered by the CPU. MS with vista changed it so DWM used the GPU instead for this. This was when multi-cores were becoming popular, so obviously MS thaught it would be better to do it that way. Probably a whitepaper on MSDN somewhere.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.