This worked in VC++ 6 but in Visual Studio 2010 assign needs a second parameter,
in the context of this function would it be a better idea to use resize or reserve and why?

bool CN3ShapeExtra::Load(HANDLE hFile)
{
	bool bSuccess = CN3Shape::Load(hFile);

int iPC = m_Parts.size();
	m_Rotations.clear();
	if(iPC <= 0) return bSuccess;

m_Rotations.assign(iPC);

return bSuccess;
}
struct __Rotation
	{
		float			fRadianPerSec;	// ĆŹ´ē ČøĄü.. Radian...
		__Vector3		vAxis;			// ČøĄüĆą..
		float			fRadianCur;		// ĒöĄē ČøĄü°Ŗ..
		float			fRadianToReach;	// ČøĄü½Ćų°Ŗ..

__Rotation()
		{
			memset(this, 0, sizeof(__Rotation));
			vAxis.Set(0,1,0);
		}
	};

std::vector<__Rotation> m_Rotations;

vector::assign needs more than one parameter.
So if you want to load only one number you could use m_Rotations.assign(1, iPC); But you're trying to assign one integer value in a vector of structs, so there's your problem.

1>c:\program files (x86)\microsoft visual studio 10.0\vc\include\vector(1035): error C2440: 'type cast' : cannot convert from 'int' to 'CN3ShapeExtra::__Rotation'
1>          No constructor could take the source type, or constructor overload resolution was ambiguous
1>          c:\program files (x86)\microsoft visual studio 10.0\vc\include\vector(1029) : see reference to function template instantiation 'void std::vector<_Ty>::_Assign<_Iter>(_Iter,_Iter,std::_Int_iterator_tag)' being compiled
1>          with
1>          [
1>              _Ty=CN3ShapeExtra::__Rotation,
1>              _Iter=int
1>          ]
1>          c:\users\user\desktop\client code\n3base\n3shapeextra.cpp(39) : see reference to function template instantiation 'void std::vector<_Ty>::assign<int>(_Iter,_Iter)' being compiled
1>          with
1>          [
1>              _Ty=CN3ShapeExtra::__Rotation,
1>              _Iter=int
1>          ]

Yeah, that's what I said. You can't put an int in a vector of structs. So what exactly was that line supposed to do?

Im not sure, thats why Im asking, but from the context I think back in VC 6 .assign took 1 parameter that worked like resize, so I just went with resize and the code works. I hate to leave this as is (this thing needs more closure) but Im marking this as solved, the vast spaces of the internets do not have anything I can consider as a final resolution. It was either a falt on the compilers part for not following the standard or the programmer who wrote the code was lazy and didnt follow the standard.

Thank you.

This question has already been answered. Start a new discussion instead.